1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Drawing Tablets for a MacBook Pro?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by ElMon, Apr 8, 2010.

1. ElMon

ElMon Supporting Member

May 30, 2004
    Oklahoma City, OK
    I'd like to get back into drawing, in particular comic books, and wanted to know if anyone had any direct experience with drawing tablets? I'm sure it would seem alien at first if you were used to pen and paper, but the idea of creating credible art on my MacBook intrigues me. Any recommendations?

2. Smurf-o-Deth

Smurf-o-Deth ¡No me gustan mis pantalones!

Oct 2, 2007
    The state of denial.
    I've used a Wacom Intuos for years. Yes, it does take a bit of acclimation, but is very intuitive once you make it. I recommend getting the biggest tablet that is feasible for you, to maximize control (I use a big'un). I'll also throw in a recommendation for Corel Painter, since you are used to "analogue" media, as it is designed to replicate that sort of feel, response, and product. A tablet plus Painter can make for a surprisingly familiar experience.

3. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    I also use a Wacom Intuos. It works very well, but I found a lot of its capabilities were incompatible with ham-fisted bassists and drummers (i.e. me). Every little twitch of my hands triggered some unwanted function, no matter how I set the sensitivity. I ended up having to disable all but two of its switches, and I have to lift my fingers away from them when drawing so as to avoid accidental interruptions. But I still use it because it is better for drawing than a mouse or touchpad, and I also like being able to lock the tablet space to the screen space.

4. ElMon

ElMon Supporting Member

May 30, 2004
    Oklahoma City, OK
    Great suggestions! Thanks!

5. ElMon

ElMon Supporting Member

May 30, 2004
    Oklahoma City, OK
    I wonder if Apple has any designs currently or in the making for this application. Seems like a lot of artist/graphic design types who most likely use a Mac anyways would have use for it.