1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Drbass (Doctor Bass) RX212 vs. RX310?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Yossarian, Jun 22, 2007.

1. Yossarian

Yossarian

Jun 24, 2004
    Virginia
    I've been pondering the RX212 and RX310... the 310 is so new and different and tempting. So here's my dilemma: I play with a pick, mostly, a lot of punk and rock and etc. I guess I'm looking mostly for good mids and punch. I might get another cab someday, but I'd like to just have one... so which be a better stand-alone for me?

By the way, I'm playing through a 4 ohm Peavey 410TVX cab right now... just need something lighter. How would a 4 ohm RX212 or RX310 compare in terms of volume?

Thanks everybody!

doctor

2. portaflexer

portaflexer

Jan 31, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    I don't know much about the Rx310, but I own a Dr. Bass Rx212 and it's loud as hell!!! It's a fabulous sounding cab... and Dr. Bass's service is great. I'm sure you can't go wrong either way.

3. vtwo

vtwo

Dec 16, 2006
    Connecticut
    I don't think you can go wrong either way, but the 310 will have more headroom (750W > 500W) and they are both quite sensitive @ 102dB so the 310 will be louder.

I say you buy what matches up best with your current head (unless you plan to upgrade that as well) and what looks best - they're both solid choices. :smug:

(I've never owned, played through, or seen a Dr. Bass cab. I'm just a fan. :D)

4. Blues Bass 2

Blues Bass 2 Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2001
    Davenport Iowa
    I've got the 8 ohm RX310 and I don't think you could go wrong with it.It's punchy as heck,has great mids and also very good bottom.I used it alone at a outside concert on the 4th and it was much louder than I thought it would be.I've had a Peavey 410TX,a Carvin Red line 410 and an Avatar B410 neo.The RX310 will keep up with any of them and it sounds better than any of them to me.The power rating is probably closer to 500 watts than 750 the way it's wired but I've been using mine with a 900 watt Crown and have barely had to turn it up to get very loud.It's small and light,I'm real happy with mine.I play fingerstyle but I think the 310 would sound great with a pick.

I just saw this is a month old thread,I hope he's still looking.

5. portaflexer

portaflexer

Jan 31, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    I had a hard time deciding between the 310, 2 115's, and the 212. In the end I ended up with 212 and I haven't regretted it. Dr. Bass cabs sound great!

6. dotlikeimpact

dotlikeimpact

Apr 19, 2007
    While i do like the Dr. Bass cab I eventually got, I waited 2+ months for it (was quoted 3 weeks Maximum). I was also given a constantly evolving "ship date" from the doctor. But, it's an excellent cab so far. YMMV.

7. portaflexer

portaflexer

Jan 31, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    I was told 4-5 weeks and it took 7 to show up... but it was worth the wait.

8. Yossarian

Yossarian

Jun 24, 2004
    Virginia
    I e-mailed Marc at Dr.Bass and asked him... he hadn't heard a 410TVX, but as for the 310 vs. 212, he told me he thought they'd be about the same volume, although he thought the 212 would be better for playing punk/rock/etc. with a pick.

I would have thought it'd be the other way around. Decisions. They are so difficult.

9. vtwo

vtwo

Dec 16, 2006
    Connecticut
    How is the 310 wired?

If Marc says the 212 is good for what you want to play, then go for it!

10. jmain

jmain Oo, Uhn't uh, Yes! Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2005
    Alexandria, VA
    Look here, post #71. Doesn't seem to be a big issue (I haven't tried one).

11. vtwo

vtwo

Dec 16, 2006
    Connecticut
    thanks.

12. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    remote mountain cabin Montana
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    Personally I think it's an Achilles heel to have one driver that's the limiting factor on what the entire set of drivers can achieve. A 310 with three matched drivers can do considerably more - it has SPL and excursion advantages - and will justify the weight and bulk of an additional woofer. In the Dr Bass scenario it's more like getting only a 2-and-a-half-by-10 instead of a 3-by-10.

13. Blues Bass 2

Oct 3, 2001
    Davenport Iowa
    I guess my RX310 is junk.What a fool I was to trust my ears and live experiance with the cab.I won't be selling it though,it's the best sounding cabinet I've had including my old Eden 210XLTs,SWR Bigfoot,LDS 112+5 and my other two Dr Bass cabinets.And it gets loud enough to do any gig I'll have.I've been duped!

14. portaflexer

portaflexer

Jan 31, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    I detect a hint of sarcasm. ;)

15. Blues Bass 2

Oct 3, 2001
    Davenport Iowa
    You would be correct sir.

16. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    remote mountain cabin Montana
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    Sarcasm, and the inability to differentiate between what a post said, and what one was reading into it that wasn't there: ie, tone was not mentioned in my post. Hampered RMS and reliability were, and non-maximized use of the drivers.

If what Vic says is true about the Dr Bass 310, one driver has to work much harder than the other two and yet you get LESS SPL, and that means overexcursion and overheating of that driver is easier achieved when using it anywhere near the stated RMS - which as Vic intimated is really off the mark because of the power unbalance to the drivers.

This has little to do with tone, but a lot to do with reliability if one actually drives their cabs as hard as they could be expected to be driven given the number of drivers and the stated RMS. A cab with 3 tens of the same impedance would not have this liability.

17. Blues Bass 2

Oct 3, 2001
    Davenport Iowa
    OK,pardon my sarcasm.You didn't mention tone so I apologize for that.

It seems every time I mention how well this cabinet performs live someone jumps in to warn people away from it because one of the tens gets half the power and the other two share the rest so it may blow the one if too much power is applied.I agree that matched impedence drivers would even the power out and help to keep all the drivers at the same level of push like Epifani and Bergantino cabinets but this cabinet costs $400 and the other two cost closer to $800 or $900.

One of the things I've liked about Talkbass is how when a new product comes out that works well and costs less than the big boys someone uses it and lets all the rest of us know about it.This has been how I've found out about most of the gear I've had and is an awesome tool for the bass player.Now that I have a cabinet that really does it for me it gets dissed as not reliable enough for consideration.

I stated early in this thread that the 750 watt rating is more like 500 in real life.I also have pushed the cabinet pretty hard testing it and found I didn't have to have it near the level live that I did when trying it out at home.It seems to me to be loud enough live that I don't have to push it near its limits.

I've just been trying to let other Talkbassers know about this inexpensive,good sounding cab.For $400 it seems pretty good to me and I've had a lot of gear,look at my profile.I know you guys are doing your job by warning people of what may happen with these but anyone that cranks any cabinet with too much bass EQ or too much power can blow any speaker.I'm saying that this one will work if used with a little common sense.

18. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 23, 2021