Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Dreaded 17th Fret

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by HenniTheRover, Feb 13, 2006.

1. HenniTheRover

HenniTheRover

Feb 13, 2006
    I have a lot of ringing in my high frets, particularily the 17th fret on my D A and a little on my E strings. I had really high action and ive tried lowering it, raising the string height, lowering pickups, pretty much anything i could think of, but i still cant get rid of it. Anyone have any other suggestions that may help me?::help:

2. SGT. Pepper

SGT. Pepper Banned

Nov 20, 2005
    Phila,Pa.
    Straighten your neck it sounds like you have to much relief in it.

3. HenniTheRover

HenniTheRover

Feb 13, 2006
    Is that the same as just tightening the truss rod on it because i have done that already, if not how do you go about doing that?

4. SGT. Pepper

SGT. Pepper Banned

Nov 20, 2005
    Phila,Pa.
    Yes, by turning you rod clockwise it will straighten.

5. HenniTheRover

HenniTheRover

Feb 13, 2006
    Yeah, i cant really straighten it any more, the action on its about as low as it can go and it still rings in the high frets

6. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    Sounds like maybe you've got a high fret, or a rise in your neck. You've followed the 'directions' for checking and measuring the neck relief?

7. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

An additional truss rod adjustment might do it, or you may have a high fret, as suggested by BurningSkies. Or maybe take it to a professional to have it looked at.

Moved to Setup.