Dreadlocks - is it time to cut them off?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by dreadhead, Jan 5, 2004.

1. dreadhead

Feb 1, 2002
    Hello bros, I hope that your 2004 is going fine... :)
    This is the "problem": I started my dreadlocks a couple of years ago (I was 20 and short hair). I've never cut them before. Now I'm getting a bit afraid 'cause I know that dreadlocks can cause hair loss sometimes. I like them but I'm afraid to lose my hair (I would be less afraid if I was 40, but GOD, I'm still young! ;) ).
    Now my dreads are about 40cm long and look nice. If I cut them I'll can wear my motorcycle helmet without pain, I'll can have a shower with less troubles, I'll give up spending a day to dry the mess after the shampoo... but I fear that I'll not like the way I'll look after the cut. I would want to save some inches of my hair 'cause I don't like short hair (no more, at least). Any ideas? Oh, I forgot to say it: I'm not a Rastafari, I would rather call me a "Gothic-oriented" person, so the locks don't have a religious importance for me. But I wanted them and I've started them from scratch. :rolleyes:
  2. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
  3. Killdar

Dec 16, 2002
    Portland Maine
    Yah, pics would be helpful/cool. Someday I'll get dreads, the huge kind too. It'd be funny because a receding hairline would cause them to fall out one by one :D that'd be great, just carry it with you and whip people with it or something........but anyway....
  4. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    Cut 'em. Dreads always look bad. Some are less bad, but never good. Shave your head to about 1 cm or less. Real men spend no more than an average of 30 seconds per day on their hair.
  5. yah, you'd need to post a pic.

in general, i tend to find dreads annoying on anyone other than rastafarians, but i realize they've become something of a fashion thing.

if you have a relatively thin face, great eyes, and an even hairline, keep 'em.
  6. dreadhead

Feb 1, 2002
    I don't spend any time on my hair... and my hair was less than 1cm long when I was younger (until 18 years). I don't have recent pics, anyway I would appreciate some ideas from another "dread"...
  7. Stephen Soto

Stephen Soto

Oct 12, 2003
    i don't know. you could cut them shorter maybe? or just buzz your head. get some pics and it would be easier to tell ;).
  8. keep 'em! dreads are always lovely, whatever anyone else says. i have a few myself (i don't have the full crown going (yet.))
    you can always keep them as dreads, but shorten them. i dunno if that solves the problem, but it might help them be manageable...
  9. Baofu

Mar 8, 2003
    Is it true they make your hair fall out? I've never heard that. Interesting...
  10. i want dreads. i have a fairly small head though so it might not look too good. i am only 14 so my head should grow more. i didnt know they made your hair fall out! speaking of hair, i have to get mine cut saturday:bawl: ! my mom said i can get it cut to grow longer so i figured i would take the deal. right now its 5 inches, so i figure when i grow it out it will be about 6 or 7 which will kick total ass. :smug:
  11. yeh dude that would be totally cool!
  12. listen to him, he's a barber. :)

I don't have dreads for frankly alot of reason's that are not objective. But I do have long hair, about a foot minimum, looks more like a foot and quarter. It's not annoying at all-except for the hair thats falls to the face-I have to wait till it's really longer for that to stop. But long hair rules. Some reasons for long hair is to not look like a cop, non-conforment, keeps your head warmer, and every cool musician has had long hair at one point in there life.
  13. you sound like a hippie. join the army son, it'll straighten you out.

seriously though, my opinion is that dreads are too 90s. cut 'em off.
  14. dreads rock...

unless your a girl. ewww :smug:
  15. dreadhead

Feb 1, 2002
    Well, I'm NOT losing my hair, but I think that it could happen. Besides I didn't think to shave my head but I would want to save some inches of "undreaded" hair to start making them grow in the usual way :)
    I'm on the Goth side... I would love to have black hair BUT I don't think that a hair dye would be a good idea... :meh:
  16. Gia

Feb 28, 2001
    ahem... ---> an old member of this site. You won't remember her.

Anyway, don't cut your dreads off. You can dye them, it will just be messy.
  17. BustinJustin

BustinJustin banned

Sep 12, 2003
    NYC, LI too
    dude cut em, you'll feel soooo much better.

18. Didn't she go by another username as well at one point.....wherever did she get to???
  19. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I'm growing my hair out, I don't know if I'll dread, but it's crossed my mind. One of the great things is they aren't high maintance as someone suggested. It's like having long hair, but you don't have to style it, which I think is pretty cool. I don't know if I'm a dread guy yet, but we'll see.
  20. Gia

Feb 28, 2001
    yeah she did.

she's travelling in india at the moment.