Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Figjam, Mar 25, 2004.

1. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Who here has/had dreadlocks? What are the disadvantages of em? How do you wash em? pics?
  2. Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    They look ugly as sin - particularly on people who are not from the Carribean Islands ;)
  3. Dont you have to shave your head when you decide you dont want them anymore? :confused:
  4. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Have to? No.

Wise decision? Yes.
  5. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    How does one go about starting dreads? Just stop washing/combing? Or does it help to get some braids started or something?

BTW, I live on Haight St. in San Francisco, and I can assure you there are some seriously cute non-Caribbean girls here with dreads. Very nice.
  6. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Backcombing is the best way, since then you can wash your dreads as regularly as you shower with no problems.

I had blue dreadlocks down to my shoulders a few years back. (15/16). No pics of them (in fact, I don't think I really have more than 10-12 pics of myself between 7th and my Senior year in HS.).

I've since become glad that I don't have them. Next project: growing my hair down to my knees. Why not?
  7. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    I personally Like dreads, particularly on girls, that's not a rule or anything, but I have definitely met many a cute girl with dreads, and her dreads only seems to amplify that.

I've known some people with dreads, One guy initially started them after a camping trip and one week of not washing. So - this guy's hair starts to clump and tangle a bit, he knows nothing about dreads, except he wants them. So he just, doesn't wash for a while, while twisting his hair and putting crap in it. By crap, I might as well mean it literally. He put...oils, honey..glue...yes...glue.

So this goes on for a week or two, then he realizes that his hair has not really dreaded, but it has become tangled little clumps of dirty dirty dirty hair.

so he goes to wash all this **** out, he showers and he showers and finally gets it all out, and it's all good. Then we went on break, and when we came back he had a full head of well done dreads, that he kept well groomed.

the moral of the story? you don't need to have nappy dreads and you don't need to not shower to have good dreads. Quite the contrary, in fact.
  8. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    fixed it for you
  9. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    That's a standing project, WR, not a new one.
  10. smperry

smperry Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Martin Keith Guitars
    I have dreadlocks. I don't think there are any real disadvantages, except that apparently it gives (some) people another reason to be nervous around me :rolleyes: [long, unpleasant story]...hence the move to Oakland where there's more diversity.

Real nice. :rolleyes:

You don't just not brush or wash your hair! That's gross!

You twist your hair (or get it twisted) with some beeswax-type stuff that holds it together while your hair is "locking". When you first get them twisted, it's best not to wash them for a few weeks because your hair hasn't locked yet. You can do other things to clean your scalp during that time. Other than that, you wash them with shampoo like other hair styles and get them refreshed ("maintained") on a schedule similar to a hair cutting one (or do it yourself). I workout and wash my hair regularly.

If anyone is serious about dreadlocks and wants more specific info, feel free to pm me. I'm African-American and I don't know anything the process for white people to get dreadlocks, but the guy I go to does locks for all ethnicities. It's easier to get good results with Black hair that's curly.

11. chicks with dreads are HOT

i'm currently growing my hair out to do dreads...I am gonna back comb
  12. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Thats the method i will probably do if/when i choose to do em. Im thinking in the beginning of the summer.. my hair will be a little longer then and should be good. On top my hair is about 5.5 - 6 inches at the moment , but its curly so it doesnt look that long.
  13. if you start them at 6", your hair dreads will be roughly 2-3" long...you lose TONS of length when you dread em(i've dreaded people's hair before)

I would wait until your hair is atleast 7-8 inches. but that's just me
  14. Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    Okay, ill be a bit more verbose in my response. Here is what *I* perceive as being the major disadvantages of dreadlocks:

1. Most people, particuarly white people (excuse the generalisation), look like a wannabe with dreadlocks - what they wannabe, I don't know - but generally they don't look great IMO.

2. Most people perceive dreadlocks as being "dirty" (ie unwashed hair etc) - whether or not that is true (I imagine it is not) - people's perceptions of you may be lowered with dreadlocks.

3. Some people may not take you seriously with dreadlocks (ie when was the last time you saw a CEO, Doctor, Lawyer etc with dreads?). In which case you may have to work harder than you ordinarily would have to earn others respect.

4. You may find it harder to get a job (even at McD's or whatever) because prospective employers don't like your appearance.

5. There is some suggestion that not taking care of your hair and scalp can lead to premature hair loss (I dont know if this is substantiated) - I would tend to air on the side of caution because once its gone its not coming back. It would be (obviously) harder to take care of your hair and scalp with dreads.

6. It is a fairly permanent change to your hair and once the "fad" factor wears off you may have to shave your head to get rid of them. Again, a shaved head can make it harder to get employment in some industries - meaning you may have to plan ahead for when to make the change.

7. I don't know too many girls who really dig guys with dreads (maybe its the circles I hang out it??)

Anyway - if you want to do it, its up to you. Peoples perceptions of you may change - can you deal with that? Its not fair, and its not nice, but thats the way life is sometimes.

Why do you want to do it?

On the plus side some people look great with dreads - maybe you will be one of them :)
  15. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Im not picking on you, but you did have the best anti dreds post so I feel this one deserves my response.

Depends on the circle of friends you hang out with. In some scenes and crowds that look that you might say makes people look like a wannabe will make them look at that much more into it.

I know thats a common perception but just so its said, from when I did research on dreds I found that its actually very difficult to dred dirty hair..... at least for white people or anyone with straight thin hair. You need to wash your hair regularly with special soaps that leave no residue and do it often because greasy hair makes dreds nearly impossible.

#3 Is hard to say anything in response too other than the obvious that not everyone wants to be a doctor or lawyer. If I made most my income by playing music and it fit the band to have dreds Id probably get them and be more succesful. This ties into my response to #4. You'd probably have an easier time getting a job at a Guitar Center, a hip clothes store, skate shop, etc... In many cases its the image you want.

Ive actually heard that frequent hairwashing causes more damage to your hair and scalp. Dredding in many cases does require frequent washing so.... thats not saying much for either of us.

Its not easy to get them either from what Ive heard. The dedication it takes to get dreds seems to be the kind it takes to like them a whole lot.

#7 see my response to #1, #3, #4. It depends on the situation as you yourself aknowledged.

Again, Im not picking on you. I picked you because you had a good response, I just wnated to throw in another view.

16. funkcicle

Jan 9, 2004
    Asheville, NC
    have you considered box braids? can have a similar look if done well, and far less permanent. I had my hair done in box braids on Monday, with bee's wax so the braids don't have to be tied. Took about 4+ hours for my friend to do it.

It's very easy to transition box braids into dreads of you like the look, and even easier to go back to your regular har if you don't. Personally, I don't dig it so much(I guess I just don't like the bee's wax), so I'm tying off a half dozenn or so of my (100+) braids and letting the rest work themselves out(will take a week maybe 2).

17. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I dont really like box braids. Kinda Korny.

Anyway my reason for wanting dreadlocks is basically that i think they are neat and my curly hair is turning into an afro and its not exactly giving me the kind of attention i want.

Also, i am a teenager, so i dont think loosing hair would be a problem, right or wrong?
  18. thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    I had 'em for a few months, about 5 years ago.

Disadvantages aplenty, but if you like the look, why not?

1. You have to wash your head with bar soap. Your scalp will itch like crazy.

2. Cops hate you.

3. You have to put wax in them to keep them going. More high maintenance than one might think.

BTW, it's a myth that you have to shave your head to get rid of them. I just grit my teeth, pulled out one brave comb that gave its life for the cause, and about four hours later, all gone.
  19. smperry

smperry Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Martin Keith Guitars
    1. Do you really have to use soap (if you're white I'm guessing)? That sucks! Shampoo works fine for me (I'm black). In terms of the itchy scalp, you can use witch hazel and/or conditioning oils.
    2. You won't get an argument from me, but that was before I got dreads as well. :smug:
    3. I agree that if you want them to stay nice, they require a good amount of upkeep.

BTW, I've known plenty of professionals with dreads. Hopefully in a year, I'll be a university professor and I'll keep mine. If people don't take me seriously, I don't think it'll be because of my dreadlocks. Of course there are people who judge based on looks everywhere, so it might fit into the should I/shouldn't I question for some, especially non-black people I would guess. People (including women and especially my wife) seem to dig it on me.

Anybody's hair can be unkept and dirty! Dreadlocks have a bad rap because people don't know much about them and seem to make assumptions. Yes, there are examples where it's dirty, but that's the case with non-dreaded hair as well...

Believe me, my Virgo nature would not let me have a hair style that was inherently unclean! ;)

Ok, I'm done. :)