1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Dream Bass Build Thoughts( McCartney Rosewood Jazz Bass)??!?!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Kaden Daniels, May 13, 2015.

1. Beatles Fans know of the Famous Rosewood Telecaster Fender made for him image. What if they made Paul a Rosewood J-bass That would be my build Make a all rosewood J-bass from Warmoth use Black Block inlays.. How would this material be tonnaly and What would the ups and downs be of a rosewood bass( weight price etc..) what do you guys think..

2. All I know is that I would get it in a heartbeat

Kaden Daniels likes this.
  3. It will weigh quite a bit.

I've picked up a rosewood Tele. Heavy sucker for sure.

4. Osztertag2112

Osztertag2112

Jan 27, 2013
    Do it! Sounds like a cool idea!

5. M.R. Ogle

M.R. Ogle Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 5, 2004
    Mount Vernon, Illinois
    Backstage Guitar Lab owner
    Do it.
    Yeah, it'll be a bit heavy, but I'd bet it will sound GREAT!!! And it will certainly LOOK great!

Actually, my "Dream" Fender re-issue bass would be a re-vamp of the '82 Walnut Precision Special, but with normal, passive electronics and a natural oiled finish.

( I use a walnut-bodied, solid rosewood necked P in recording. Its very compressed, even across the strings like nothing else I've ever played, and has a dark, piano-ish (but not harsh) tone.
    Fender 62CS pickup in it... HINT: it ain't the pickup.)

Kaden Daniels and Osztertag2112 like this.
  6. The Walnut/mocha precisions are awesome looking

7. nerkoids

nerkoids Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2014
    Montreal
    You should do a replica of his '66 Jazz, complete with paddle tuners and block inlays and binding in rosewood. Would you use a tortie or a black pickguard?

8. Tortie if I recall its what he had on his sunburst

9. nerkoids

nerkoids Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2014
    Montreal
    That might look a little busy, though.

10. From japan it was available a walnut jazz with black hardware and walnut stained neck/headstock, too: a real beauty!

zoattw.

Last edited: May 18, 2015
  11. cdef

cdef

Jul 18, 2003
    In the early days, Schecter produced Fender-style exotic-wood bodies and necks that dealers could mix'n'match. My local shop put together an all-rosewood Jazz Bass, and while I'm not usually one to complain about weight, it was prohibitively, insufferably heavy. Caution advised.

12. M.R. Ogle

Nov 5, 2004
    Mount Vernon, Illinois
    That's what I have... a Schecter Jazz neck. American walnut P body, though.

Never weighed it, but it's not drastically heavy.

(just weighed it... 9.9 pounds.)

13. My
    My main bass rigjt now is a 78 T-40 at 12 and a half pounds Im not too worried but it does start to get heavey after a while

14. M.R. Ogle

Nov 5, 2004
    Mount Vernon, Illinois
    Wow. The stereotypes about those early Peaveys being boat anchors have their roots in truth.

15. lowphatbass

lowphatbass **** Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    Years back a friend of mine scored a really choice chunk of rosewood and had Alembic make a bass out of it. It felt like marble, it was insanely cool and heavy.