1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Dream Bass Conundrum

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bimmer696, Mar 18, 2013.

1. Bimmer696

Bimmer696

Mar 18, 2013
    I finally got the bass I've been admiring for years.. a Warwick Streamer Stage II with a natural wood finish. It plays amazing, it sounds amazing, it's beautiful. Problem is... it's so beautiful I'm scared to really play it. I don't want to scratch the wood above the pickup with my thumb nail or dig in with my finger nails when plucking. Anyone else had this dilemma? I feel like I can't fully enjoy the bass cause I put it on a pedistal. I know I should just say "f-it" and play the damn thing. Worn basses have more character but I just can't bring myself to make the first mark in that beautiful finish. What do I do!!??!

2. cabcreaser

cabcreaser Supporting Member

Feb 12, 2005
    Basses are meant to be played, not protected. Play it and know that each bruise or scar that may result is a reminder of your love for that bass. Or trade it for a bass you find ugly that sounds and feels as bad as it looks.

3. Durockrolly

Durockrolly

Nov 26, 2012
    So. Cal.
    While I am quite meticulous in caring for all my instruments, guitars and basses, I buy them and own them to use them for their intended purpose. I play them hard and aggressively. It's how I express myself through music. I don't abuse them but the wear and tear that occurs through playing is just the price I pay, "I" would have it no other way.

4. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Say f-it. I play my Foderas at gigs all the time - and all the rest of them, too. I take care of them, though.

5. pinz

pinz

Jun 14, 2010
    NZ
    I used to be that way about all my new basses but once the first scratch,nick,dent occurs I give up.
    I see some huge money paid out for "road worn" basses (even brand new) and like to think all mine will be that way sooner or later if I use and abuse them enough.
    Its a tool at the end of the day,play it,love it,enjoy it.

6. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    You'll get over it. Take it down from the pedestal, and just play it. Then play it some more. And some more. Then keep playing it even more yet. And again. And again. And again...

Pretty soon you'll be so focused on how good it sounds, and how good it feels, that you won't be so distracted by how good it looks. That's the place where you want to be. Then, when it eventually gets its first scratch or its first dent, you'll find it easier to get over it. Because the darn thing just sounds so good, and it just feels so good.

So that's the secret: Just play it and play it and play it... :cool:

MM

7. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    BTW, no you didn't.

8. It's not like you won't play it eventually.
    Enjoy your quality time with a new bass potentially full of endless possibilities-- in a few days you'll be ready to get to work.

9. Flaked Beans

Flaked Beans

Sep 9, 2005
    NYC
    Munji is correct as always! :bassist:

10. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I imagine the next owner of it will be happy you didn't scratch it. In the meantime, it's not doing you much good if you don't play it.

11. You can't take it with you. Play the darn thing. Play it like you mean it.

12. Play it like you mean it. I buy my basses for me, not future owners... I defintely take care of them when I leave the house, but I don't pay good $$ for these to have them sit in the case.

13. Bimmer696

Bimmer696

Mar 18, 2013
    Thanks for your advice everyone. Just to clarify, I do play it... just very "gingerly".. which some would say is not really playing it at all. I'm getting more used to the idea of a road worn SSII... after all, I could always get it refinished anyway, right?

14. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    Just play it. It's not going to look beat up instantly. I also wouldn't do a refin down the line, but that's me.

15. lowendmafia

lowendmafia Supporting Member

Oct 11, 2007
    Sacramento, California
    I used to play Warwicks exclusively (had 2 stage IIs)... I played Metal, hardcore, prog, etc. I played them hard, whipped them around on stage, tossed them around my shoulder (all the gimmicky crap) and they withstood all the punishment. The greatest thing about that natural wood finish is that if you ding it, using a little moisture and heat will bring the ding out. Also, any player wear could be fixed with the wax that comes with the bass. My main SSII was probably the least delicate bass I have ever owned. Oh, and it played and sounded killer... so play it.

16. Skygoneblue

Skygoneblue

Nov 13, 2007
    Orlando, FL
    That's like marrying the supermodel of your dreams and only ever doing missionary style with her.

Cut loose and enjoy that thing man!