1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Dream Bass Day: Hagstrom Coronado IV

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bassistjoe93, Aug 13, 2019.

1. bassistjoe93

bassistjoe93 Supporting Member

Sep 14, 2011
    Stumbled upon my “white whale” while scrolling through the ATL Craigslist. An early 60’s Hagstrom Coronado IV in cherry burst. It’s been played, but it sounds so sweet. So warm and articulate! I seriously looked for one of these for 8 years, and saw this one listed on the local CL for $400. I felt like that was a pretty good price! Just wanted to share it, and see if anyone had any more information on it. The serial number is 566075
    FB9BEDC3-69E9-424D-88D2-D9EFF3C759B7.jpeg DA982530-ACA9-4723-AA65-B241F46DF873.jpeg 72CFEDB7-8745-44D0-BCB7-C752395470C3.jpeg

blacktocomm, TrevorG, wraub and 11 others like this.
  2. ajkula66

ajkula66

Sep 23, 2016
    NEPA
    An absolutely awesome find.

Play it in good health and enjoy!

JIO likes this.
  3. Axstar

Axstar Inactive

Jul 8, 2016
    Scotland.
    The pickups are Hagstrom Bisonics and easily worth $400 in their own right. I would leave the bass intact though. An excellent find!

4. 566075 would have make it as having been made in 1963. It was the 75th Coronado IV bass made in that production run (566) which produced 194 of them.

The volume slider on these is a different approach, the factory only ever used it on the 1st gen of Coronado basses. It's also one of only three models that Hagstrom made with a 34" scale (Scanbass, Super Swede, Coronado IV were the others).

Great find especially at $400.00 Enjoy.

TD

12BitSlab likes this.
  5. ukulelelab

ukulelelab

Apr 14, 2013
    awesome find. A total of 1157 Hagstrom Coronado bass guitars were shipped, in seven separate batches and your bass is from the 2nd batch.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2019
  6. ukulelelab

ukulelelab

Apr 14, 2013
    similar one (first production serial 550100):

7. mellowgerman

mellowgerman Supporting Member

Jan 23, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    Holy crud! Let me know if you ever decide to pass it along :)

8. Lowbrow

Lowbrow Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2008
    Pittsburgh PA!
    I had one of these beasts! Don't you love that weird rail thing?

9. That's just too damn cool.

bassistjoe93 likes this.
  10. bassistjoe93

Sep 14, 2011
    I love the rail!!

11. ukulelelab

ukulelelab

Apr 14, 2013
    Love mine. Pickguard screws look like they belong to civil engineering. Machine heads are also beautiful and spectacularly oversized. Gear diameters at least twice the ones on fenders

49176849601_410e0c8fca_c.jpg
    20191211_223352.jpg

Last edited: Dec 11, 2019
    Axstar likes this.
  12. JIO

JIO Connery... Sean Connery Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 30, 2010
    The Mission SF/CA
    musician/artist/owner - Gildaxe
    super cool! :thumbsup:

13. wraub

wraub

Apr 9, 2004
    ennui, az
    It looks like a lovely and loved thing... Play it well and often. :)

14. bassistjoe93

Sep 14, 2011
    Yours is beautiful!!! Love the finish and yes, the timers are works of art!

ukulelelab likes this.
  15. Eagle1JJ

Eagle1JJ

Feb 4, 2006
    I just spotted this forum on this bass. I have the same Hagstrom Coronado iV only the neck was cracked in 1970 and I had to make my own using an old Hagstrom fretless neck which I added frets to. Then I added a Badass bridge, Grover tuning keys, and an adjustable brass nut. Loved the way it played, thin fast neck, and the unique sound of the Bisonic pickups. As time passed, I purchased a Rickenbacker 4003 bass to replace it in 1973 but went back to the Hagstrom in 1980 for its faster neck, better low end, growl, and high range. And the fact you could easily intonate it since Ric’s are a terror to fine tune.

The Hagstrom has been in the closet since 1985 but resurrected in 2015. Since I only play maybe 12 gigs a year, it still plays perfectly today. It is a great sounding bass and I get a lot of compliments on its look and sound. I've played many different basses over the years but I always come back to the Coronado. It really is a unique sounding bass.

The only upgrade it needs is a way to adjust the volume and tone from the neck and bridge pickups since the older Hagstrom's basically had an on-off switching arrangement. I wired it up temporarily using dual pad concentric pots. Before I adjusted the pots it sounded like it always did. But when I adjusted the knobs the bass became alive and sounded totally different, even better. It's going to be more versatile when I finally decide to make changes to add these pots. Just not sure if I want to ruin its vintage accordion switch plate vibe.

This is what I'm thinking. If I totally remove the accordion style switch plate including the 4 switches, I can add a Fender telecaster switch plate which includes a 3 way switch and I can add my 2 dual concentric pots directly into the same cutout. This way I could turn on the neck pickup, or the bridge pickup, or both, with separate volume and tone controls for each pickup. The stick shift volume control can still be used as a master volume control. Anyone else feel if I should make this change?

16. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 18, 2021