Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Dream BIG!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by eldave777, Aug 9, 2005.

1. eldave777

eldave777

May 24, 2005
    Ever since I can remember I've wanted to own a music store. I love everything about them. I work part-time at an amazing music store in Memphis called Martin Music and yesterday the owner asked me how I thought a satellight Martin Music would go over where I live. I know it would do great and so he now has me doing research on locations, and what not. So I won't own the store but it looks like I will be running it. As far as bass stuff goes we will carry Lakland, Fender, Modulous, Ernie Ball, Ibanez, Fodera, Mesa Boogie, Eden, Hartke, Bag End,and a few others. I didn't sleep at all last night. It's really too early to talk about this but I had to let it out before I explode. :hyper: :hyper: :hyper:

2. eldave777

eldave777

May 24, 2005
    Go for it man! I won't do it for crappy pay either. It should be quite an adventure. I also have a complete business plan, however I figured it would take me ten years to get where I'll be day one of this new store.

3. sargebaker

sargebaker Commercial User

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    owner/builder, ISLAND Instrument Mfg.
    Awesome! that should be sweet. it's been my dream to just work in a music store....that may come true during the fall :D but really thats so sweet, good luck!

4. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    Nothing better in life than having a job that you like, that when you get up in the morning, you can't wait to get started.

...of course, I'm still looking...

5. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    Well, if you don't wanna settle for small things, you better start dreaming big - no matter what the result, you'll probably end up better than hanging in your little life :smug:

6. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Go for it man! That's been my dream. I've already picked out the location of my music store too! Waverly place in Madison, NJ. Around the corner from the train station where I'm going to be so good the pros from NYC are going to jump the train for an hour to stop by my shop called Waverly Guitar and Bass.

I can dream.

7. eldave777

eldave777

May 24, 2005
    Thanks everybody. You know me running a music store is like turning a crackhead loose in a cocaine factory. I also look forward to being able to help you guys out with gear. I'll be very good to my fellow TB'ers.

8. Kurisu

Kurisu

Nov 19, 2003
    Saskatoon SK
    Congrats on getting the store man, that's living a dream for sure.

But one word of warning... You won't have it for long if you give all your friends on TB "help" on gear. ;)

9. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    Maybe that's the reason Gard's at Roscoe...

*Huge disclaimer.* I hold Gard in my highest respect and I've never seen anyone make any claim that he was less than absolutely superb at his job, and fully recognize that he got his current job at Roscoe based on what a great job he did at his old spot.

That said...that's awesome, eldave! I'd love to work in a music store, especialy one that stocks gear like that! Fodera and Bag End? That's some mean jamming on coffee breaks, dude. Also, remember the benefits -- employee discount :D.

10. wow, that is awesome. congrats!!!

11. eldave777

eldave777

May 24, 2005
    I'm not foolish enough to "give" anything away even to my brother's and sisters here at TB. Our practice has been to put used gear on ebay a.s.a.p. however I will let everybody here know when something really cool comes in. I have the same sickness as you guys. If a Carl Thompson comes in it WILL be mine. Anyway things are progressing nicely. We are looking at locations this Sunday. I'm going to try to be open by November with a huge grand opening sale. Then a Christmas sale to follow so we can get a big jump to start things off. I will let everybody know whats happening and hopefully if you live near us you can come celebrate with us. ;)

12. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    You could always offer a TB supporting member discount :p.
    congrats dude. Two things I want to do in life besides have an awesome job and family is open a music store, and have a good home studio. Go get 'er!

-Ray

13. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Good to hear that your dream is within reach. I don't think I would like to own a music store. I would probably get burned out on music. I loved working on computers and networks until I started doing it for a living.

-Mike

14. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Hell, I'd buy from you.

15. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    Yeah...maybe one of those 2-Tek Hamers...;)

16. That is awesome!

Like most people here I would love to own a music store. Both me and my brother, a drummer would be partners. We both have management and business skills so the idea could become reality, if it weren't for all that.....you know..... money ;)

Congrats...it a great opportunity. I am envious.

Love the product list.

17. eldave777

eldave777

May 24, 2005
    UPDATE!!!
    Yesterday the owner of Martin Music, his wife, my wife, and I went location shopping. We found an awesome location. It is in the traffic path of the number one Wal-Mart in America. I didn't sleep well Saturday night due to the excitment and last night I couldn't turn my brain off to get any sleep either. Doesn't matter though I'll function on fumes today. We hope to be open in November and so far all the dealers are cooperating with us. Fender is a possible problem. We don't know if our rep serves Mississippi as well as Tennessee so if we have to order the start up package ($60,000 worth of product) then Fender will have to wait, which also means no SWR. I feel pretty positive that since we are a Master Built dealer that everything will work out. We also added Tama drums and Hughes and Kettner to my list of stuff I will carry. I'm a lucky man. :hyper: :hyper:

18. eldave777

eldave777

May 24, 2005
    UPDATE!!!
    We found a perfect location that is quite affordable and big enough. Also we got approved by Fender which is nice so I'll get SWR as well. So far no problems getting all the lines I want to carry. All we need to do is paint inside the store (it's baby blue now) and put up the slat board and it'll be time to rock. :p

19. djcruse

djcruse

Jun 3, 2002
    Norwood, MA
    Where is this store? Or where will it be?

20. eldave777

eldave777

May 24, 2005
    Southaven, MS. Just outside of Memphis, TN