Dream of a bass, must be my destiny

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Aaron Saunders, Jun 6, 2004.

1. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Today I was napping in my computer chair (not a very common thing for a 16 year old, I think) and I dreamt of a Zon. It was the only time I've ever actually dreamt about a bass, so later, I looked at the site, and then at Zons on TB. I've gotta say, these things inspire some serious GAS.

What's the setup like on a Zon?
    Cost of a USED Zon on average, and the commonality of finding a Sonus 4 fretless?
    Does anyone have any soundclips of Sonus fretlesses?
    Any particular gigs you prefer to have your Zon on rather than another bass?
    How big is the mwah? Hardcore, super, butt-crushing mwah?
    Is phenowood a composite? Of what? What's the durability, compared to ebony, or the finish on Pedulla buzz fingerboards?
  2. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    For some reason I've been dreaming of Zon's lately, too.

- The setup should be pretty flat and low.

- Used? they can run the gambit but typically $1100-1500 for a real nice, used, Sonus 4 fretless.

- Haven't heard any sound clips but you might want to check out some stuff from Michael Manring.

- The Zon that I just got is starting to appear that it could hang quite well at just about any gig. Kind of a Swiss Army thing going on. ;)

- The mwah that Mr. Manring rings out of his Zon is incredible. I've not heard much better than this.

- Not quite sure exactly what the make up of phenowood is but it does have wood and various polymers that make it up. It should be every bit as strong as ebony but I understand that it will wear.

There are 3 guys here on TB that play Sonus Fretless. Embellisher, Josh and Gard. I'd be willing to bet that they'd give up a vital organ before giving up their Zon.

You have great dreams. :)
  3. Wolfehollow

Jan 21, 2003
    Pensacola, FL
    Even though Im a custom guy now, I think that Zons are the best bass for the money... my Zon sonus 4 is still near the top of my list.
  4. Hey, I had that same type of dream...in three months or so, give or take a month here and there, the dream will come true. Getting a Zon 5, fretless.
  5. Scott D

Scott D

Apr 21, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
  6. OrionManMatt

Feb 17, 2004
    I was blessed once to play around on a Zon Sonus 5 Fretless. I should have learned a decent fretless line first. I felt inadequate holding that thing. It just fits you and the mwah is just like warm butter over pancakes. You just see it and you're like, "Man, that's nice."
  7. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I play a Zon fretless, as Jerry J said.

Mwaahhh? Oh yeah, this bass has it in spades. The setup is very low.

Mine is a Sonus Custom and has the optional piezo bridge, so I can get pretty much any fretless sound I can imagine.

I use stainless steel strings, and slap quite a bit. My phenowood board has some scratches, but no grooves. It is harder than ebony, and lasts longer than ebony. I have heard that eventually the board will have to be dressed, but mine is showing no signs of wear, other than the scratches.
  8. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Wow, the two soundclips on altguitarbass are gorgeous! I love the tone to death. Super thanks goes out to Jerry J for all the great information, and embellisher on the phenowood board (the thing I worry most about on my own rosewood fretless :/).

So...Gard? Josh? Looking for y'alls input.