1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Dream Pedal board?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Nick Perrin, Jan 20, 2012.

1. Nick Perrin

Nick Perrin

Jan 20, 2012
    I havn't really experimented with effects pedals before. I have found six that I would like to purchase: BBE Sonic Stomp, ISP Decimator Noise Reduction Pedal (possibly the G-string model), Tech 21 Sansamp Bass Driver DI, MXR Bass Compressor, EHX Bass Big Muff PI, Boss ME-50b. Before I make any purchases I would like to know if any of these are unnecessary and why. Also if there is any other pedals that might add diversity to this set up.

2. BioDriver

BioDriver A Cinderella story

Aug 29, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Let's break this down, shall we?

BBE Sonic Stomp: Why? Is there a problem you can't rectify using your amp? Cut.
    ISP Decimator Noise Reduction: Might be necessary depending on how you're powering your pedals. Put on the back burner.
    Tech 21 SansAmp BDDI: Good, but there are countless other dirt pedals out there. If you need the line out then nevermind, but definitely check out other options (Rusty Box, Pork Loin, Catalinbread SFT, Tech21 VT Bass, Darkglass Microtubes B3K, and many others)
    MXR Bass Comp: Love mine, it's great if you need clean compression. Check out bongo's site for more comps: Compressor Reviews
    EHX Bass Big Muff: There are MUCH better muffs out there than this: Fuzzrocious Gray Stache, Blackout Effectors Musket, Way Huge Swollen Pickle, Wren and Cuff Pickle Pie B and Box of War, and many more. Check out BassFuzz.com
    Boss ME-50b: Why this over the other multi effects, i.e. why this over the Line 6 M6/M9?

A few more questions that wouldn't hurt to answer: What kind of music do you play? What sound are you going for? What's the rest of your gear like? What's your budget?

3. scottfeldstein

scottfeldstein Supporting Member

Jun 20, 2011
    West Bend, Wisconsin
    Get the MXR bass compressor.

Get the SansAmp only if you're want an overdrive unit with a DI that also has vintage amp emulation EQ built in. It's well known to have a scooped mid. Sounds great, actually. But the day you want that overdriven DI and a middy tone, well, you're swimming upstream. If you are OK with this, go for it. I love mine most of the time. If you have doubt, I'd look at the Tone Hammer or some others.

You could probably do better on the fuzz pedal. Others will no doubt steer you right. it's not my thing.

A multi-effect unit? I don't know. I prefer to do my research and hand pick the best of breed for each effect I want. What are you hoping to get out of it? Synth? Envelope filter? Octave? They make really nice individual pedals for that.

4. Valerus

Valerus

Aug 4, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    Get the one tha---

Oh God. OH GOD, NO! How is this possible? Jenny? Jenny?? What's wrong with you?
    Wake up! Wake up!

...Jenny? Oh, I thought I had lost you! Jenny? Jenny, what the...Something's wrong with you! Why won't you respond?

Ow, what the heck?? You bit me! Get the heck away from me. Back away...you're not Jenny...you're...some kind of monster. What did you do with Jenny?

I swear, if you don't back away, I will hit you with this.

BACK OFF. NOW. JENNY. NOW!!

AGHH, NO! JENNY!!! NOOO AGGHHHHHHHHHH

5. byrdnick

byrdnick

Jan 19, 2012
    Nashville, TN
    I'm looking at adding a Sonic Stomp at some point myself. Buddies of mine, guitar and bass players alike, use them and swear by it. Really "crystalizes" your tone. Just makes it that much better.

As far as the Sansamp DI, I bought one about a year ago and haven't looked back. Probably the best investment I've made other than my amp. I don't use any other pedals. It allows me to literally plug into anything, dial in my tone, and sound great every time. It does lack a mid control, but Tech 21 makes an identical pedal called the Para Driver that is for any instrument and has a mid control. Its literally the same thing. You show up to a gig with your bass and this pedal and you'll put a smile on the sound guys face every time, and its an easy way to not have to carry around your amp every gig. It also has a nice overdrive, if you turn the drive knob to about the 1 or 2 o clock position. I love it. But like I said, I mainly use it as a preamp. As a matter of fact, I used it tonight in a tracking session with my band and it made my passive MIM J bass sound like butter (even more than it already does).

I haven't tried the MXR comp, but it seems like an ideal investment. Can't go wrong with a little compression, and it just makes your playing more dynamic. Can't say much on the other pedals, but I would advise against a multi-effect pedal. They tend to be real tone-suckers.

6. I have cycled numerous pedals. Some I thought I just HAD to have. Once I got them, I realized they didn't live up to the hype I had placed on them. Seems like the ones I have kept over the years and use on a regular basis were the ones I got just to "try out". Buy them, try them, sell the ones that don't do it for you. Use that cash to buy more.

I have found that a good fuzz is the supreme effect pedal. Nothing else can scratch that itch like a good dirt pedal. Next is a good envelope filter. Third on the list is a good chorus pedal. Other than that, it's just experimentation. That is just my personal preference and opinion. Others will argue that and you may as well. It's all about your individual tastes and needs.

That being said, a good amp, bass and practiced skill have as much to do with what you hear from those effects as the effects themselves. Make sure you are happy with your "clean" tone before trying to explore effects.

My last 0.02 of input is taste. We all have different oppinions on what sounds good to us. Our "tone" is unique as our finger prints. Just because I love a certain tone I get from a certain pedal, doesn't mean it will be your thing. The only way for you to pick what effects are right for you, is to try them through your rig with your playing driving them.

This is the reason venturing into the world of effects cost so much. It's not the individual cost of a pedal that hurts the pocket (although some can *Deep Impact*) but it's more the cost cycling through several until you find the one that fits a desired tone. And again, that desired tone comes form the amp, cabs, bass and player just as much as it does the effect pedal. The journey is a fun one and can respark interest in otherwise dull practice sessions.

7. sillyfabe

sillyfabe keeping the low-end silly since '06 Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2009
    San Bernardino,CA

+1000000000000000000

I waited a good year before starting to even look at effects even though I really wanted to. Get a solid foundation (get comfortable on that fret-board,get some scales,arrpegios,different styles at least going well) THEN

Start to look at shaping your "tone that sounds good regardless" with some "man this really makes INSERT RANDOM SOUND EXPLANATION HERE sound less like INSERT RANDOM NEGATIVE SOUND EXPLANTION HERE".

Find stuff that appeals to you and that you see yourself using for what sounds YOU are trying to make.

I love fuzz thats why I have 7 different fuzzboxes of various flavors on my board...:bassist:

As long as it works for you there's no right or wrong way....WITH FUZZ! :bassist::bassist::bassist:

8. Nick Perrin

Nick Perrin

Jan 20, 2012
    I have been playing for about five years, so it's not like I don't know how to play, and my budget is $200 per-pedal but I would like to be able to find them used. I play indie music and I'm always trying to find a different sound. Thank you guys so much for helping me out and giving me suggestions on better pedals. The only reason I said I wanted that multi-effects pedal was simple because it has a pedal that lets me sustain notes, change pitch, and wah. and i wanted it try a the synth and chorus functions. is the something better for that? that is close in price? I'm just a young kid that works fast-food.

9. Right on dude, looks like you're going about it with the right attitude and approach. If you want to best bang for your buck and the most out of a single pedal purchase, then go Line 6 M9. Boss, digitech and zoom make some great multi effect units, but it seems the line 6 holds the competitive edge over them.

I didn't like my zoom or digitech multieffect units and sold them off pretty quickly. I prefer individual stomp boxes. However, I have played with the Line 6 M9 plenty of times in the store and have come awefully close to taking it home. Also, you are far more likely to find a used Line 6 M9 or M5 in the classifieds here on TB. I seem them about once a month or so. Don't take that as an inidcation that it's not a good pedal, it just means a lot of TBer's have got them.