Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Dream Pickups

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Petary791, Oct 14, 2005.

1. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    So I got the Carvin catalog and I was thinking what I would want my next 4 stringer to be. I was thinking this.

2 MusicMan like humbuckers with coil taps for each so I could run them like regular humbuckers and single coils (like a Jazz Bass.) That is what coil taps are for right?

2. Unchain

Unchain I've seen footage.

Jun 20, 2005
    Tucson, AZ
    My dream pickups are clear, fat, punchy, focused, defined, transparent, and awesome. So, MM and P-bass is a good combo.

3. yes, coil taps are for the ability of wiring your humbuckers in parallel, series, or single coil (like a Jazz bass).

My dream pickup combination would be something similar but with soapbar humbuckers in the jazz positions...

a P/MM combination would also be a very tasty combination, IMO...

4. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Yep, but it won't sound like a true jazz bass.

I think a regular JJ will work for me, or a JPJ even.

5. Unchain

Unchain I've seen footage.

Jun 20, 2005
    Tucson, AZ
    Do I smell an Urge fan?

6. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    4 J pickups wired as humbuckers oughtta be pretty cool. Your coil tap just turns off one of the pickups in a pair...

Did you scope the DarkStar pickup ?linky
    I've got one on order that will drop into a 57 RI P bass body with a 62 RI J neck when it get's here. BA II bridge will complete the ensemble. This is either going to be a complete waste of time or very cool...

7. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Never played one. I love Jazzes and I love Precisions.