Dream Police

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by TxBass, Feb 12, 2003.

1. TxBass

Jul 3, 2002
    Frisco, Texas
    so my friend calls me at work yesterday around 3pm and says "hey I got tickets for Cheap Trick...wanna go? Tonight!". And after calling for an "authorization number" ;) , I was in. He won them off the radio.
    Funny show (about 400-500 at EMO's on 6th/Red River in Austin)...average age: 40. At 34, I felt like a youngster--that was cool!

Anybody seen any cool groups lately from your "youth" on their re-tread tours? Not meant to be disrespectful to these bands---it's great that they still have a draw.
  2. Saw Motörhead and Slayer this year, but then again they never stopped touring.

Still waiting to see Nuclear Assault and Exodus (if they ever find a new singer.)

3. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk Supporting Member

Apr 14, 2001
    Cheap Trick played my college back in 1989(?).

I thought they were old then.
    They rocked, though I don't think they got laid.
  4. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    yeah, they played at ga tech back in '88. they've certainly been around a long time.

blue oyster cult does the big chili cook-offs around here once every year. :D chili and boc. that's actually a pretty cool combination.

btw, since this is music related, it's off to misc.
  5. TxBass

Jul 3, 2002
    Frisco, Texas
    sorry JT...Off Topic seemed right--but since it's "music related" I should have gone with Misc.

just wanted you guys to play some volleyball this morning!
  6. TxBass

Jul 3, 2002
    Frisco, Texas
    one thing for sure, they were real tight musically--even playing a six-necked guitar! (did he change guitars for each song? That's just plain funny)
  7. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    What a bunch of young pups.

I worked a Cheap Trick show at the Winnebago County fairgrounds (near Rockford) Fourth of July, 1979! I was doing security for one of the concession stands.

I suddenly feel older than usual...
  8. Max

Max Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2000
    Bakersfield, CA
    They are a great live band. I saw them two years ago at a Budweiser Pavilion--free show at the fair. That's kind of rock bottom for a group that used to sell out the LA Forum. I'm sure they got whatever their fee was. In any event, it was an excellent show and yeah there were a bunch of us 40 year olds singing every word.
  9. TxBass

Jul 3, 2002
    Frisco, Texas
    I'm in denial of getting older---but one thing that brings me back to reality now is that I have to "check the calendar" before going to a show/etc...when before, I would just jump in the car and off we'd go--not worried about whether it caused a conflict with anyone else. Not that I would change it--but it's definately a different level of "life".
  10. dstolk

Dec 29, 2002
    Rockford, IL USA
    I have a couple of CT related ?'s First, I'm a huge CT fan( I'm 39) and am seriously considering forming a CT tribute band. Playing a lot of their old stuff that many people have probably never heard but really jams. Practically there whole first album for example. Do you think this would go over very good? I feel I need to tell you that I live in Rockford, IL. Their home town. Rick and Bunny still live here. Which leads me to my second ?. Do you think doing this here would be pretty gay?
  11. TxBass

Jul 3, 2002
    Frisco, Texas
    not meant to be disrespectful to Cheap Trick..but you could probably open for them in that area, cause it's not like they're playing to sold out arenas anymore. I wonder if they would be "weirded-out" by having a tribute band in their own home town?