1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Dream practice amp...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by JimChjones, Dec 3, 2018.

1. JimChjones

JimChjones

Aug 6, 2017
    SE England
    The katana thread got my thinking, what would be an ideal front room gimmicky practice amp. I've been using a little 10 wedge with my head, and bass free tracks on my phone, and it's been a lot more convenient than what I've done in the past.

I think I'd like to see a well ported full range wedge cab with a 8in woofer and a tweeter, 5w of power, Bluetooth to receive music from phone/tablet whatever and a usb charge capability. FX on board wouldn't be important for me, but might be for others. Bluetooth input post everything of course. FX presumably controlled in software from the phone.

What about you folks?

saabfender, hbabels and Saetia like this.
  2. lug

lug

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx
    The Phil Jones Double 4 is the dream practice amp, trust me on this.

Saetia likes this.
  3. My practice amp is an Ampeg B15N. :)

AstroSonic, RollCats and Saetia like this.
  4. Saetia

Saetia

Mar 27, 2003
    Wisconsin
    My EA VL-110 and any amp.

5. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2008
    1963 B-15N. The experience is something to behold.

9CB7B616-3882-4161-894C-58940EAA397E.

6. Pulverizor

Pulverizor

Jun 14, 2018
    New Zealand
    What's this practice you speak of?

7. JimChjones

JimChjones

Aug 6, 2017
    SE England
    Less hassle than rehearsal...

Systolic and Nashrakh like this.
  8. CTBassGuy

CTBassGuy Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2018
    Danbury, CT
    That rig, sir, is a thing of beauty.

beans-on-toast likes this.
  9. http://www.voxamps.com/VX50BA

enough gain to peel your face & sounds like a micro-Marshall with a guitar

VX50BA-large.
    10 lbs. & tiny
    perfect for lugging outdoors for a quick session

10. CTBassGuy

CTBassGuy Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2018
    Danbury, CT
    My TC BH250 and 1 Ampeg svt210av is a really nice setup for home and band practice. TonePrints for messing with effects, input for a phone or other source to play along with, and loud enough if you want to get stupid in your basement. All under 30 lbs if you want to move it.

The TC and an old Carvin 2x10, or something like, it would set you back maybe $300 or so and be able to handle small gigs too.

11. OP is all about connectivity with newfangled electronics supplying playalong backing tracks.

12. My amp I play at home is my same gig rig. 412s and a BH500. Loud isnt an issue where I live. My bands have always just practiced in my living room with full set ups. But, when I'm just playing by myself, I usually run my bass through my interface with backing tracks and headphones.

13. el murdoque

el murdoque

Mar 10, 2013
    Germany
    I tried a lot of things, but my conclusion is this:
    A barefaced one10 cab and a low wattage tube head.
    I've used several of those, guitar heads with a bass preamp and bass heads with less than 50W, all bringing joy to my ears. The one10 is that one cab that offers a presentable look when you order it with a cloth grille and makes for a nice room ornament with a boutique style tube head on top, while (and this is more important) sounding absolutely huge at low (practice) volume. It does not shy away when you hit the low B and gives you a sound reminding you of a fridge running at a lot more power than your neighbors will endure.

AstroSonic likes this.
  14. JimChjones

JimChjones

Aug 6, 2017
    SE England
    Heres what I'm using at the moment. The little 1w tube blackstar has a switched external speaker socket, so its able to drive a ported 1x10 I knocked up from odds and sods and a 30 year old speaker. The rudimentary tone control on the Blackstar is a bit limited, that's the main drawback.

Oddly I didn't build the wedge with any use in mind - I had been using the recording system for bass, but I had a couple of weeks serious tune learning to do and a separate amp was handy. 1544119928463173878624.