1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Dream theater bass tone from scenes in new york 2000

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by Drienvyftigcent, Feb 7, 2016.

1. I'm absolutely obsessed with the tone john myung had in the scenes from new york gig in 2000. I think his live tone is usually pretty mediocre but that definitely wasn't the case here. This tone is the growliest, most honky sounding I've ever heard and it punches through the mix like a battering ram so I'm trying to recreate it. I'm just not sure how and I was wondering if anyone can tell me by the sound in these videos. I can tell it's definitely the neck pickup but it also sounds like theres some effect going on which I can't seem put my finger on. It sounds like some breathy minimal use of overdrive or distortion but I can't tell for sure.

You can really hear the tone in these videos, especially the parts at 12:34 in the first one

8:05 here

and the whole first minute here

Can anyone tell me how I can get a tone like that, especially by using what effect?

Last edited: Feb 7, 2016
  2. Sixpack324

Sixpack324

Jan 10, 2012
    New Jersey

3. That was about 7 years later, during his musicman era when he used a different, mediocre, tone I was talking about. I'm not really interested in myungs general tone but only in the gig I was talking about.

4. Sixpack324

Sixpack324

Jan 10, 2012
    New Jersey
    I can't find the link, but IIRC, the M2K album was a Demeter Pre-Amp, with a Compressor pedal and a Mesa Grind Slammer pedal for most of his sound.