Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Dream theater fans - do they cover any Castlevania tracks?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by yoshi, Aug 19, 2003.

1. yoshi

yoshi

Jul 12, 2002
    England, London
    I downloaded some castlevania (Oldschool computer game, this one from the snes, castlevania 4) and pone of the tracks is an instrumental cover titled 'day and night theme'.

I'm almost certain its by D.T. due to the sound of the drums and bass aswell as the guitar solo tone. I'm not a fan of DT so arent really familiar so if anyone can confirm it iI'd be greatful..

edit: understanding it's theatre where you come from, for some reason the band doesn't like this, and many fans are silly too -wr0

2. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    Nope - it may be a soundalike, or a DT-esque prog band, but they've never covered Castlevania or any other game tracks.

John Petrucci (DT guitarist), however, *did* record the intro and outro music for a Sega Saturn pinball game named "Necronomicon" around 1995 which is sounds somewhat like a DT track. Perhaps it's one of these mislabled?

3. yoshi

yoshi

Jul 12, 2002
    England, London
    It definatley is castvania 4, the snes one, taken from the level where a cog chases you up the side of a spire. I even double checked this via the games bg music test.

Thanks anyway.

Check out the song if you've time and see if you recognise a possible coverer :D

4. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    You could probably find a midi on an old website. But a lot of Prog Metal and video game music can sound similar. Especially darker ones (castlevania, etc). I was playing the Playstation I game "King's Field" and listening to Fates Warning's "Pleasant Shade of Grey" and it fit perfectly.