Dream Theater Fans

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Drop_D, Aug 3, 2001.

1. When Dream And Day Unite

3 vote(s)
  2. Image And Words

26 vote(s)
  3. A Change Of Seasons

4 vote(s)
  4. Awake

10 vote(s)
  5. Falling Into Infinity

4 vote(s)
  6. Metropolis Pt2 : Scenes From A Memory

32 vote(s)
  1. I´m a big Dream Theater Fan. and i was wondering what´s for you guys the best Dream Theater album?
  2. Erlendur Már

Erlendur Már

May 24, 2000
    Well..I only have 2 but I´ve listened to 4..But of those 4 I voted Images & Words..
  3. I love all the albums, but the last (Metropolis Pt2), that´s a Concept album, is really something. it has probably the best instrumental work i´ve heard in years (Dance Of Eternity).
  4. The first two on the list are my favorites.
  5. seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    I had to vote Images and Words because I felt like that was a definitive album for the band at the time. I was a huge fan since I first picked up WDADU, but when I heard the first couple minutes of Pull Me Under, I was literally floored.

From there, they have progressed and written music of the highest caliber. People say 'they don't write them like that anymore'. Well I would not discount this band, as I found them an instant classic. I think their writing and musicianship sets them above the crowd, and I will always be a fan.

lol, had to edit - I just shut the the door to my office so I can crank Scene Two from SFAM at work! :cool:
  6. Yeah. MUSICIANSHIP - it´s the difference between DT and others prog rock/metal bands.
  7. cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Im torn between Images and Words and Awake.
  8. lol

lol Guest

Jul 21, 2001
    Lyon (France)
    Awake is a little better than I&W IMHO.
    The music is stronger and deeper, the sound is much better than I&W and James LaBrie's voice is at its best!
  9. A Rock

A Rock

Mar 18, 2001
    New Haven, CT
    i dont really know much about dream theater but that song HOME is phatty:)
  10. lol

lol Guest

Jul 21, 2001
    Lyon (France)
    try "The Mirror", "Lie" and "Caught In A Web", it's sooo powerful! (much more than "Home")
  11. pmkelly

Nov 28, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    So am I really the only one that thinks that Falling into Infinity is their best album? I can live with that... when I first got it, I just couldn't quit listening to it.... Totally rocks...
  12. seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    I think Falling into Infinity was the best bass sound Myung ever had on a studio release. If you blast it, you can really hear an agressive fingerstyle that doesn't come through on the other albums. It's not my favorite album, but I don't know that I even have a favorite at this point. All of their albums are indispensable IMO.
  13. For all you fans, check out the upcoming live triple CD (September 11) and the new studio album (January?)
  14. seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    Thanks for the heads up :)
  15. Acacia

Apr 26, 2000
    Austin, TX
    i adore dream and day...instense, although crappy production and a limited singer.
  16. Ups , Scenes from a memory & images and words are tied... please someone do the honors ..... :)
  17. LWatford

Jul 28, 2001
    Helena, AL
    Wheres All Of The Above? (pun intended)
    I like them all, though I can only stand so much of the Majesty Demos and WDADU. A Change of Seasons was my Dream Theater intro, so I voted for it. I like Falling into Infinity also, I would like to hear more songs in that diection, but thats what side projects are for!

18. ColdYinTiger

Jul 15, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    I've heard all of the cds, and have most of them and even though some of my fav songs are on other albums(Home, Space Die Vest, Burning My Soul), IaW is my diffinate fav, but I am really looking forward to see what their new one will be like. We can see what Jordan Rhudes is capible of song wise, unlike being restricted to a general concept or jamming like on LTE. And they put on an incredible live show and I love Rhudes's Keyboard solo all of a sudden breaking into Rave/Techno mode!
  19. Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    I&W. It was my first DT experience, so it will always have a special place in my heart. Plus, I can't find a single bad minute on that album.
  20. silvermaneZ

Oct 10, 2000
    Houston, TX
    Images and Words. The whole album just flows from beginning to end, and you can not get much better than that. I especially like at the end where they reincorporate some of the earlier musical themes to kind of tie everything together.

BTW, the Japanese full band transcription of that album from Sheet Music Superstore is not totally accurate, but is a good place to start.