Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

dream theater fans...

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by barroso, Dec 8, 2001.

1. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    please help me. i joined a cover band. we play miscellanous rock. i like a lot to play some tunes, like alice in chains', S.T.P.'s, but i really don't like those dream theater songs. i have the highest respect of dream theater as musicians, but they are not my cup of tea. i don't like listening to them and i don't like the idea of playing their songs. but the guys in the band (drummer and guitar player are fans of DT and they think that DT is the best band out there). i don't want to disappoint these guys, and as thay play the music i like i have to play a couple of songs of DT. they choose easy songs, thay said, such as the spirit carries on and finally free. i know that a lot of people here love Dream theater. i ask you if it's possible to have from you a copy of the music sheet. here in italy they are unavailable and i don't like those tabs i can find on the net. if someone can help i will appreciate a lot!
    thanks

2. If they're playing "The Spirit Carries On" or "Finally Free," they're not picking the best stuff from the DT songbook.

See if they'll play "Lie" or "Pull Me Under."

3. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    GOOD choices, Analogkid! I'm listening to I&W right now!

On amazon.com they sell books with sheet music in them from Scenes From A Memory. Might I suggest you play a more interesting song like "Beyond This Life"? Either way, good stuff!

The songs they chose, IMO, aren't very representative of DT's music, anyway.

4. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    thanks guy. i listened to every album of dream theater and i have the same idea. those songs aren't the best. but to be honest this doesn't really matter. i want to make the guy happy and play those songs at the best. the sheets could help me a lot but since i'm not a fan of the band i'd prefer not to buy all the book. if someone who owns the book can scan those songs' pages i'd really appreciate!

5. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    If you have the CD, those are pretty easy songs to learn by ear.

6. Not true--they represent the "we like to rip off Floyd" side of DT :rolleyes:

I just listened to Awake in my car today--man, what an awesome album! Every song on there, even Myung's rather weak "Lifting Shadows Off a Dream," is high-quality.

7. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    I agree with whoever said to do Lie, that songs really good, not too too hard to play either.

another good one imo is surrounded

8. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Hehe, I don't even like Floyd, but I know they do a TERRIBLE job of trying to rip them off!!!

Myung wrote Lifting Shadows Off a Dream? That's a horrible song...I like the intro, but I always change it after a few seconds. But yeah, great CD, but I like Scenes From A Memory and Images and Words better.

Anyone else think that Falling Into Infinity is, as a whole, a bad CD?

9. EVIL!!! I love Falling Into Infinity! :p
    But then again, maybe that's just me...

As for DT songs to play, I wouldn't know, I haven't even tried to play any DT stuff yet. :p

10. Come on man, if you want something challenging learn Metropolis Part 1

It's got it all, time signatures as far as the eye can see, singing that would make Mariah Carey's vocal range sound like James Hetfeild, that bass solo, that climax.....

Excuse me while I go change my pants

11. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    Well, I'm not a fan of tablature either, but some of it I've found on DT material is pretty darn accurate. Of course, you'd have to know the song before reading the TAB, but it's better than nothing (i.e. if you can't get the sheet music and can't figure out the lines yourself). I haven't read a DT TAB for a year or so, but I care to think that a Brazilian guy, Bernardinelli or something, did a very good job tabbing some of the songs. They should be available for reading at www.dreamtheater.net.

Just an emergency exit.

Analog, Angus: Aren't you guys sick of "Pull Me Under" yet? :D

12. I only got into DT two and a half years ago, and I hadn't heard "Pull Me Under" until I got Images and Words for Christmas 1999, so no, I'm not sick of it quite yet :D

On another note, my band's rhythm guitarist downloaded most of the new album--Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence is the name, IIRC--and said that it reminded him way too much of Falling Into Infinity, which is many persons' least favorite DT album. The production is too poppy, but the songs still have Prog-with-a-capital-P pretensions about them--a devastating combination that produced such *ahem* masterworks as Yes' Union or the entire '80s Rush catalog... :rolleyes:

13. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    thanks guys you helped a lot. can i ask you why do you like dream theater?

14. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    Sure you can, but I don't know if I can come up with a good answer... :D I don't know why I like what I like, I just like it. I used to think of Dream Theater as my music gods, but I have fortunately enough abandoned that twisted idea... ;)

So I'm not a die-hard fan, and there is a lot of their music which I would think is decent *at best*, but I like to think that they have great potential, and that they at times have succeeded to combine great virtuosity with great songwriting. Although I am yet to find something done by Dream Theater that hasn't got severe flaws (there's always something I can complain on), I can in most cases overlook those flaws and enjoy it. :)

15. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    My vote would be "Learning to Live" or "Take the Time"

16. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama

Bands must evolve too. Sameness leads to stagnation, It's like the old saying that you can only pull the same rabbit out of the same hat so many times.. Never understood that fully, but I think it may have something to do with Rush's Presto album....
    Personally I've always wanted to see someone pull a hat out of a rabbit!!!

:eek:

17. seamus

seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    Jersey
    I've followed them with great anticipation ever since I picked up their first album back in high school

been a huge fan ever since

I mean, I had just never heard any modern bands that wrote like that. To me, they were like the reincarnation of progressive rock for my generation. A lot of other 'progressive' bands I liked were born out of a decade that was really before my time, and I was immediately captivated by their musical talents. I can't wait for the next album.

I also loved how they exhibit so many influences from bands I already liked. I think they've really come into their own as much as a band can be expected to these days. Based on what I've heard from the next album, they manage to put yet another spin on their seemingly limitless repertoire. DT is just one of those bands where I can't find enough good things to say about them.