1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Dream Theater in Cleveland 3/19/06

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Petary791, Mar 23, 2006.

1. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    I have a bootleg of it if anyone wants it. It's quite good quality.

To the mods: This is perfectly legal. Dream Theater endorses and condones bootlegging.

2. oh oh me, could you pm me with the link.

3. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    I'm glad you mentioned that. I was about to delete this.

You may think it's nitpicking, but I'd call that a concert recording or some other term. "bootleg" implies something is illegal.

We don't need to give people the impression we're encouraging or enabling piracy. Not in this sue happy society of ours.

4. Suckbird

Suckbird Banned

May 4, 2004
    Sweden
    I want it. :hyper:

5. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    Hey sorry Blackbird. What would you like me to call it? Even DT calls them Bootlegs.

And guys, IM me at EyCroce791 and i'll send them to you.

6. rashbeep

rashbeep

Jul 15, 2005
    Toronto, ON
    pm me as well

7. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    I have it on my Soulseek too, IM me if you want it.

8. Blackbird

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    No biggie. Good question, though. Authorized bootlegs, maybe?

9. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    Ha yeah we'll go with that! :smug:

10. SlavaF

SlavaF

Jul 31, 2002
    Edmonton AB
    pm me aswell please :hyper:

11. Sorry, that name's taken. ;)

I wouldn't mind a copy of the show. The fiancée and I didn't hit the Cleveland gig as we were going to the Radio City 20th Anniversary Show (bad math, I know) but had to cancel out plans, and I'm interested in what we're missing.

12. Blackbird

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Not quite. You see, companies and individuals don't have the right to trademark names that are mere descriptions of the product. That's why Kellogg's doesn't own exclusive rights to the name "Corn Flakes" and any cereal company can put out a product with that name. "Aspirin" is another good example.

So "Authorized Bootleg" it is. We got precedent! :D

13. i know a lot of people call it a soundboard recording (providing it is recorded off the soundboard ;) )

i know i have a lot of those too...mostly Jacob Fred Jazz Oddysey :)

14. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    Let's try "Minidisc Bootleg." :smug:

15. Shessh, for a pirate you're quite the lawyer. ;) The meaning of my post is that "for public use" the name has been used by Dream Theater for a line of products for sale for several years, this leading to the likely confusion when someone tries to trade an "Authorized Bootleg" that in reality is a regular old audience/soundboard taping. The prog dorks will jump out of the trees to attack like Ewoks at the thought of trading authorized product and a loss of revenue. :D

Just trying to prevent the confusion with the fan base. I have knowledge of a tiny bit of trademark law, btw.