Dream Theater Instrumedly (just WOW!)

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Josh Raines, Feb 21, 2006.

1. Wow, basically parts of Dance of Eternity, Metropolis, Ytse Jam, Erotomania and a few more. Just secks.
  2. Suckbird

Suckbird Banned

May 4, 2004
    That was pretty damn good!
  3. d8g3jdh

d8g3jdh Guest

Aug 9, 2005
    I'm going to see them in march! :bassist:

I'll watch it when I have time.
  4. Yeah I've seen this in the LAB dvd.
  5. I prefer their "Big Medley" (with Pink Floyd's In The Flesh, Queen's Bohemian Rhapsody, Carry On, Wayward Son by Kansas I think, and a bunch more).
  6. Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    You're ignorant.

ME TOO BABY! March 19th in Cleveland!

I recently learned that all the way through, which i'm pretty proud of. That whole song is just a shredfest!
  7. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Quite possibly the band I dislike the most. No feeling coupled with no stage presence, yah. I'd rather just listen to the bands that they ripoff.
  8. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    I much prefered the Liquid Tension Experiment parts of the instrumedly, but then I much prefer LTE anyway.
  9. I thought it was great, it is meant to be taken as a shedfest since it was a collage of tricky instrumental parts. I don't think the band would ever write a song like this, it is over the top because that's the point of the intrumedley.

I'm tired of people saying they're wankers, if those people actually listened to DT, they'd realized that Pettruci is one of the most emotionnal soloist in a rockmetal band.

And Myung? He plays for the song, there's no argument against it. Finally, you've got to realize that it's kinda hard to jump around when you're playing this sort of technical metal, i know DEP does it, but not everyone can.
  10. Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    Best post ever.
  11. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    I could see where you were coming from until you said the bit about Petrucci being emotional. I never associated sweep appreggio shredding with emotion, but whatever.

12. I actually enjoy their last two albums. The rest is a large Kansas-Yes-Megadeth-(dare I say) Styx mash up.
  13. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Check yourself fool, lest you forget Frank Zappa, Mahavishnu Orchestra, ELP, and many others. It's actually easier to pick out bands that they ripoff rather than finding examples of "their" sound.
  14. Redhotbassist

Oct 19, 2002
    That was great, thanks for sharing.

15. Yeah, but those you mentioned are leagues beyond DT. They could never match em.
  16. But I'm right! I like a lot of prog. I just think this band is awful. It sounds like notes were programmed into a computer and spit back out. I just wish they would chill out a little. At least we didn't have to hear LaBrie on that video.
  17. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

Shred = Wank... crhoton's comment seemed really accurate to me, maybe not called for in a Dream Theater thread... but calling someone ignorant for not liking your shread (aka wank) rock is rather ignorant.
  18. nick g.

nick g. Supporting Member

Nov 9, 2003
    Chandler, Arizona
    You've obviously listened to very little of Petrucci's work.

Seriously, these arguments get a bit tiresome after a while. So what if they don't jump around like an inebriated chimpanzee at showtime - the stuff they play requires a lot of dedication and concentration to get through on stage. They write extended intrumental passages and fast solos because *gasp, shock, horror* it's how they like to express themselves musically.

It's great that you don't like DT, but please don't do so for the wrong reasons.
  19. Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    Yeah, you guys really gotta listen to some more stuff. The work that Petrucci does in "Metropolis Part I" when he harmonizes the 9 chords is just beautiful.