Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Dream Theater - Intro to "The Glass Prison."

Discussion in 'Tablature and Notation [BG]' started by ikickuintheballs, Jul 7, 2002.

1. Yes, I know.. I've tried learning it by ear over and over again to no avail. I can't find anyone who has tabbed this one out so far, so maybe someone here can help me out. What does Myung do while playing his B-string? I saw them live in NYC, and was suprised to see he was doing the intro and not Petrucci (for some reason stuff like that amazes me... lol). Your help will be greatly appreciated! :D

2. I.'.I.'.Nakoa

I.'.I.'.Nakoa Guest

Aug 10, 2000
    Fort Worth.
    Is it on a Chapman stick? Ive only heard the song once... IT was ok..

3. G ----19---18 ---------------16--------16---------16
    D -21----21---19----19-17----17-18---18-19-----
    A -----------------------------------------------
    E------------------------------------------------
    B 0----------------0-----------------------------

G ----19---18 -------------16---------16--------
    D -21----21---19----19-17----17-18---18-----
    A --------------------------------------------------17
    E ------------------------------------------------------7
    B 0----------------0-----------------------------

that last 7 on the E-string is a harmonic

enjoy

4. Thanks! :D

It's not on the chapman stick, he plays it on his yamaha 6-string.

5. If you want the full tab, go to www.dreamtheater.net and look under media, sheet music, and guitar tabs... the whole thing is tabbe din guitar, and it isnt too diffucult to format it to bass... enjoy

oh and your welcome! :D

6. Lady Jayde

Lady Jayde

Jul 17, 2002
    Florida
    WOW... I finally see some else into Dream Theater.. and some else knows the tab. I'm happy now.. I've been looking for that tab for weeks.. I have Another Day tabbed out by ear.. took me awhile but i love it.. I can even play in on acoustic..
    Lady Jayde

7. I.'.I.'.Nakoa

I.'.I.'.Nakoa Guest

Aug 10, 2000
    Fort Worth.
    I find that it sounds better on the 9th fret of the D string.

8. ok

and yeah dream theater almosts rocks as much as RUSH . but i hate the way john myung uses distortion

9. joejet

joejet

May 1, 2003
    Denmark
    It's because that's the right way to do it. The 7th or 16th fret - a F#, if I'm not mistaken.

My problem is to let the harmonic ring while playing the melody on the C string, 'cause naturally I'll mute the G string but the harmonic is supposed to ring out... somebody help me!

10. Victor Wooten98

Victor Wooten98 Guest

Jul 31, 2003
    South of Heaven...
    Ohh, ****... did I just read 'Dream Theater' and 'almost rocks as much as Rush'...:mad:...
    Dont get me wrong I really like Rush, I just think that Dream Theater is soo much better than "Rush" They are uncomparable (waiting to get burned) But if there your favorite band (DT is mine) then I can see your point.

But Personally (PERSONALLY) think that Every member of Dream Theater is Way, Way, better than Rush.

Dont Shoot me Rush lover's, I like them too but not as much as DT.:D

11. I.'.I.'.Nakoa

I.'.I.'.Nakoa Guest

Aug 10, 2000
    Fort Worth.
    if it werent for rush, there probably wouldnt be a dt.

12. Victor Wooten98

Victor Wooten98 Guest

Jul 31, 2003
    South of Heaven...
    Maybe, but thats not my point, I am saying that I think Dream Theater is a more skillful band, but I do like Rush, so dont all you Rush people think that I hate them, I do in fact really respect them.

13. I dunno, Geddy, Neil, and Alex are quite accomplished... They've all won a bunch of awards and are generally considered some of the best in their respective fields. Haha, Dream Theater rocks too, so who cares?

Funny, I'm listening to The Glass Prison right now... I sang the tune in my head while reading the tab, but it didn't hit me until the song got to that riff that I was actually listening to it. Don't mind me, I'm tired as hell. :D

14. Dream Theater is not "more skilled than rush". They're two different bands with similar but very unique styles. You cant say one is better than the other; that would not be logical.