Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Dream Theater - Mtscenes 2 can i play those songs with a 4 string bass?

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by DySaRt, Jan 16, 2002.

1. DySaRt

DySaRt

Jan 14, 2002
    Portugal
    In all Dream Theater bass tabs the only i find and get to play was Erotomania and im being private of playing the other songs because they all need like 5 strings or 6 , is there anyway i can play them without needing the other strings?????

2. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    You could play the low notes an octave up. None of the I&W songs require more than 4 strings to be played correctly... they were in fact recorded with a 4-string.

3. beermonkey

beermonkey

Sep 26, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    Images & Words was recorded with at least a 5 string; and I think he was actually using a 6. Listen to "Take the Time", it's full of low C# sixteenth note bliss... unless you are tuning your 4 string B-E-A-D, you might have a difficult time playing that low C#. :D

4. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    Maybe not the entire album was done on a 4-string, but at least "Pull Me Under", "Under A Glass Moon", "Learning To Live", "Surrounded" and "Metropolis" can be played correctly using one.

5. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    On Scenes From a Memory, you can play some and you can't others. Which ones in particular? "Beyond This Life", for example, you can entirely play on a 4 string (except for the final note, which is a D). Some you need a 5 for, though, like "Dance of Eternity". Any songs in particular that you want to know?

I assume you own the CD, so learn the songs by ear, and it'll tell you whether you can or not!