1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Dream Theater - Mtscenes 2 can i play those songs with a 4 string bass?

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by DySaRt, Jan 16, 2002.

1. DySaRt

DySaRt

Jan 14, 2002
    Portugal
    In all Dream Theater bass tabs the only i find and get to play was Erotomania and im being private of playing the other songs because they all need like 5 strings or 6 , is there anyway i can play them without needing the other strings?????

2. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    You could play the low notes an octave up. None of the I&W songs require more than 4 strings to be played correctly... they were in fact recorded with a 4-string.

3. beermonkey

beermonkey

Sep 26, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    Images & Words was recorded with at least a 5 string; and I think he was actually using a 6. Listen to "Take the Time", it's full of low C# sixteenth note bliss... unless you are tuning your 4 string B-E-A-D, you might have a difficult time playing that low C#. :D

4. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    Maybe not the entire album was done on a 4-string, but at least "Pull Me Under", "Under A Glass Moon", "Learning To Live", "Surrounded" and "Metropolis" can be played correctly using one.

5. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    On Scenes From a Memory, you can play some and you can't others. Which ones in particular? "Beyond This Life", for example, you can entirely play on a 4 string (except for the final note, which is a D). Some you need a 5 for, though, like "Dance of Eternity". Any songs in particular that you want to know?

I assume you own the CD, so learn the songs by ear, and it'll tell you whether you can or not!