Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Dream Theater - Octavarium

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by SlavaF, May 25, 2005.

1. SlavaF

SlavaF

Jul 31, 2002
    Edmonton AB
    Who else is looking forward to this album? It comes out on June 7th, and I can't freaking wait... heard some sound clips and radio edits, and Octavarium sounds like it will be another amazing DT release! :bassist:

Metal heads, you owe it to yourselves to listen to "Panic Attack"... it's incredibly fast and heavy, even for Dream Theater :D

2. invisiman

invisiman

Feb 22, 2004
    Well it got leaked today....

3. SlavaF

SlavaF

Jul 31, 2002
    Edmonton AB
  4. invisiman

invisiman

Feb 22, 2004
    Not to encourage illegal pirating of music, but this album is very good, and I recommend DT fans buy it, as I will on it's release date.

5. eh, lots of times i love them, other times i think they're kind of ridiculous. john myung is great though :bassist:

6. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Why is it every semi-major recent album has been leaked before it could come up for purchase.

Seems like a twisted, not at all sensible, marketing ploy to me.

7. To the people that think of downloading it first to see if they like it I can inform you that there is indeed a real copy of the album on the internet. however the fake copy is alot more common. It has all the right names of the songs on Octavarium but it is LaBries solo record I think. I always tend to download things before I buy it and I'm listening to the album now. Right now I've heard the first 3 tracks. Its nothing that really grabs me yet though. Maybe it will grow on me over time.

8. I have the album and I'm listening to it. Man, it's greaaaaaaaaaaat stuff.

9. I have listened more to the album now and it does grow on me. I would say that tracks 5 - 8 are my favorites. Track 1 is good as well. I think everything will grow even more on me.

And is it just me or is the bass higher in the mix this time around? Maybe its because I listen with different speakers on my computer but the bass is heard very clearly (which is great).

10. SlavaF

SlavaF

Jul 31, 2002
    Edmonton AB
    Yeah, the bass sounds awesome! Also, it seems as if JM had some more freedom this time; his fills are much cooler, and he generally sounds more confident.

The only songs I've heard so far are the 2 radio edits, I Walk Beside You and The Answer Lies Within... IWBY has cheesy lyrics, but I really love it! TALW is a bit too mellow for me, but it's still cool.

11. Cheesy lyrics in a DT song?! What's the world coming to... ;)

Sure that's half the fun anyway!

9 days left...

12. SlavaF

SlavaF

Jul 31, 2002
    Edmonton AB
    On the other hand, the title track is the best single song I've ever heard, with some of the best lyrics I've ever heard from DT! Only part that somewhat annoys me is the TRAPPED INSIDE THIS OCTAVARIUM... but that's like, 10 seconds out of 24 minutes. The beginning is beautiful too!

13. Snarf

Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    I'll only buy it if Rudess stops playing completely and Petrucci gets a soul. Do these things in fact happen?

14. billybear_

billybear_

Jan 17, 2005
    Do us a favor and don't buy it. :scowl:

15. HA! Who the hell has a soul anymore?!?!?!?!? Those are so overrated.

Ill probaly pick up this album soon.

16. SlavaF

SlavaF

Jul 31, 2002
    Edmonton AB

yes.

17. SlavaF

SlavaF

Jul 31, 2002
    Edmonton AB
    Now that I've heard it all, I think this is DT's best entire ALBUM in their catalog - not one weak song, this album flows extremely well and has lots of variety! Highlights are the brutal "Panic Attack", uplifting "I Walk Beside You", the epic "Sacrificed Sons" and the most epic of all - I'm talking of course about the title track. The ending is the most amazing 4 minutes of music I've heard in a long time, so epic and emotional!

In conclusion, anybody that's ever liked DT should buy this album. It's got everything you could want in an album!

PS James Labrie's vocals are great, not annoying as they have been in the past... :D

18. Snarf

Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    Silly JMFer, Trix are for kids.

19. billybear_

billybear_

Jan 17, 2005
    Thanks for the review. I can't wait to hear it. When TOT came out, people said the same crap. It sucks they said. Just like now. They were wrong back then and they are no doubt wrong now. I can't wait until next tuesday!! :hyper: