Dream Theater songs that can be played on a 4 string bass...(Help)

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by The_Ryst, Mar 14, 2005.

1. Well, I need a site or something that has a complete list of Dream Theater material that is able to be played on a four string bass. I know their first album, (Ytsejam primarilly) and Erotamania is a 4 string songs.

Can you guys help a bassist out who's too poor to get a 6 or a 5 right now?
  2. adam on bass

adam on bass Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, GK, EMG and D'Addario
    You can play most of them on a 4. You just have to plan ahead and learn'em a little different.
  3. Do you mean octaving up and whatnot? I'm talking about songs Myung recorded on a 4 string.

Edit: And could you give some examples?
  4. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    Both the first two albums were recorded with four-strings (WDADU on a Sheehan-ized front humbuckered StingRay, and a Spector NS-2 for Images & Words) so apart from the downtuned beginning of "Take The Time" there's no problem there. If you've got a 5-string you have the range to play most everything else with some positioning shifts - JM has stated that he jumped to a six-string for the ability to play more positionally as opposed to range and racing up and down the neck.

...yeah, 'cause he doesn't do that in the slightest. :D
  5. Lefty-Only138

Oct 29, 2004
    1. Only A Matter Of Time
    2. Misunderstood
    3. War Inside My Head

These are some songs that I play using a 4 string bass. They are not easy but they are fun to play.
  6. Ozzyman

Jul 21, 2004
    Metropolis... only decent Myung Solo, IMHO
  7. That solo is friggin' great. Have you heard Ytse Jam?
  8. try googling the site xguitar.com...they have LOTS and LOTS of bass tabs for dream theater...and lots are in 4 string tab..not 6..but even the ones in 6 can usually be played on a 4 they just have it on 6 string tabs not using the top and bottom strings..john myung is my effin hero!! lol