Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Dream Theater - Train of Thought World Tour 2004

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Noobai, Mar 3, 2004.

1. Noobai

Noobai

Aug 25, 2002
    Stanford, CA
    Saw it open last night at The Moore theater in Seattle, WA.

This was my first time seeing DT live, adn let me tell you, I wasnt dissapointed. I was on the ground level, bout 20 rows away, and initially it was like watching the DVD's, they play so perfect, and the video screens and the lighting/etc are very similar.

However, towards the middle of the first set, and then at the very beginning to the end of the second set, I was frton row.

Playlists were AWESOME, you almost couldnt ask for a better playlist. I dont know all the names, but heres what I remember ebing played....

Intro : A recap of DT albums, from their beginnings to today, video type thing, then Myung comes out and starts....

Set 1:

As I Am
    This Dying Soul
    Under a Glass Moon
    Beyond This Life (with zappa jam)
    Hollow Years
    War Inside My Head
    The Test That Stumped Them All
    Endless Sacrifice
    Finally Free

Intermission

Set 2 :

Metropolis Pt. 1
    Caught in a Web
    Drum solo
    Honor Thy Father
    Erotomania/Voices/Silent Man
    In the Name of God

Encore :

A CHANGE OF SEASONS.

I dont know if they plan to do this all tour, but they did it opening night, the crowd went completely insane, myself included. I was front row to the stage (could reach up and hit Myung if I wanted) and was there the whole song. Portnoy saw me about 6 minutes into the song, I gave him the \m/ and he threw his drumstick to me (he did this about 10 times overall, so bring your gloves ) and I cought it Ill get pics of it later

Throughout set 2 they had multiple solos, for Rudess, and one especially for Portnoy.

Portnoy has a new set this tour, almost as big as the Siamese Monster (3 bass drums, 2 seats, etc) and for his solo he sat down and started playing. Then he waved someone out, and it was none other than Seattle native Scott Rockenfield (Queensryche drummer) and he came out, sat down in the seat opposite Mike, and just overall blew us away, switching seats, throwing/passing sticks, and generally just doing all sorts of incredible stuff. Absolutely unbelievable.

Mike is quite the showman on stage, he would constantly throw sticks off stage to roadies, and have them throw back. At two points he threw a stick into the audience (one to me) and took a drink of water while playing (ACOS no less) before picking up his new stick. He would also throw a stick to Rudess in the breaks and Rudess would smack some symbols for him, and then pass it back.

Rudess's keyboard was also amusing, he had it on a 360 swivel, so he could walk in circles while playing his solos. Very entertaining to say the least.

Overall, 15 min intermission and encore included, the show was 3.5 hours. Absolutely wonderful. I shook Myung's hand at the end of the show, overall, unbelievable experiance.

Labrie was good, a little off. Petrucci was DEAD on, short haired with a fumanchu Myung is Myung, Portnoy had the chest long hair and his boxers robe

Rudess shaved his head

Otherwise, any questions ask away. Im very sorry I cant give more accurate names to songs, but I dont know a lot of middle dream theater by name.

Once I get my pictures developed Ill post em up here. Peace

2. omg im dying to see this tour! i pray they come to the southeast!

3. Joe Turski

Joe Turski

Jul 29, 2003
    Connecticut
    m
    April 1st at the Boston orpheum!! Can't wait!! :hyper:

4. Schwinn

Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    I'm seeing the show in D.C. later this month!!!

5. btw, that is one of the best set lists i can imagine!

6. SOLD OUT IN MONTREAL!! Dammit!