Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

dream theater

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by metallybassist, Sep 12, 2002.

1. metallybassist

metallybassist

May 22, 2002
    hey

i recently bought dream theaters six degrees of inner turbulence,and downloaded loads of other stuff, but i wondered what you guys considered was the best album other than 6 degrees that i should get.

cheers

neal

2. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    A lot of people consider Images and Words to be their best, but I personally favor Awake to all of their other work. Also, another cool DT album to have is A Change of Seasons. It has a huge multi-movement opus and then some DT during some great covers.

3. I own all of DT albums except for their first one (dont remember whats its name) and Metropolis 200: Scenes from New York (which I already have in DVD)..

I don't think 6 degrees of inner turbulence is their best one.. maybe I haven't listened to ir carefully , cause I just bought it, but is not one of my favs.

I would recommend you any of their studio albums between images and words and metropolis2: scenes from a memory.. they are all great.. awesome..

4. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    I think Images & Words is their most consistent album. Not a bad song on the album, but lots of very good ones. Hate the snare sound, though.

Awake has captured some of the best moments in all of DT's work. A few tracks on it that I can't stand, but the rest is excellent.

Those are the best DT albums, if you ask me. The others may be good and all but they don't hold a candle to these two.

5. Nameless Poet

Nameless Poet

Sep 4, 2002
    Aside from 6 degrees, my favourite DT albums are probably Images & Words and Awake. Two really great albums you should check out. Also anyone else hear them playing the entire master of puppets album track for track live? I d/l it and its amazing although the audio quality could be better.

6. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    1.- A change of seasons
    2.- Images and Words
    3.- Metropolis pt 2
    4.- Awake

I haven't heard the SDOIT though...

BTW: this goes in recordings

7. Erlendur Már

Erlendur Már

May 24, 2000
    I only have 2 myself (Images & Words and A Change Of Seasons) but I've also listened to Awake, Scenes From A Memory and a bit to Six Degrees Of Inner Turbulence.
    I guess Awake is the best, although I do like the new cd. I have to listen more to it, though.

8. Falling into infinity! hahahah j/k

i would have to agree Images and Words and six degress... teh opther albums have great songs, but too mnay bad ones

you should check out Liquid Tension Experiment... they are awesome.... ( and incase you didnt know, they are a side project of mike portnoy, john petricci and jordan rudess)

9. metallybassist

metallybassist

May 22, 2002
    thanks guys

i shall be checking those out

youve been a big help.

10. SlavaF

SlavaF

Jul 31, 2002
    Edmonton AB

Yeah... the only good song is new millenium. They sound so "mainstream metal"ish in that one, which is not good.