Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

? Dream Theatre ?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by ThunderPig, Dec 15, 2002.

1. ThunderPig

ThunderPig Guest

Dec 15, 2002
    Oakland California
    Who is the bass player for Dream Theatre and which songs are the best examples of his work? Just curious...Thanks.

2. Tiwaz

Tiwaz

Sep 22, 2002
    Norway
    John Myung is the bassist in Dream Theater .
    Some songs that are representative of his work:

Metropolis pt.1
    6:00 am
    Under A Glass Moon
    Erotomania
    Ytse Jam
    Scarred
    Learning To Live
    A Change Of Season

There are other songs of course , check out his website for more information.

3. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    john myung also plays in a project he created called platypus you may be interested in checking out.

4. Noobai

Noobai

Aug 25, 2002
    Stanford, CA
    and he's also in The Explorer's Club with Labrie.

Another fun one is The Glass Prison, at around 9 minutes, the bass is good fun there :)

Change of Seasons has some GREAT progressive metal bass work though

5. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    There's also a project called Jelly Jam, which is basically Platypus with vocals.

6. SlavaF

SlavaF

Jul 31, 2002
    Edmonton AB

...New Millenium
    Home
    Overture 1928/strange deja vu

7. Yogi Bear

Yogi Bear Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2000
    Colorado
    Platypus has vocals. Jelly Jam is Platypus minus Derek Sherinian.

8. beermonkey

beermonkey

Sep 26, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    Myung has crazy chops, but I don't fancy his note choices all the time.. sometimes he wanks a bit too much, and not in a clever "Chris Squire I'm the bass player pay attention to me" sort of way.

He's all about economy of motion. Ever watch him play? His fingers on his fretting hand hardly even move.

9. mmorrissey10

mmorrissey10

Sep 24, 2002
    Myung has the best technique I've ever seen from anyone. I got his Progressive Bass Concepts video and it's insane. He's not my all-time favorite, but I wouldn't say he's all about economy of motion. Listen to the very beginnning of the Test that Stumped them All. I've seen him play it live, and he's doubling Petrucci! It's the fastest bassline I've ever heard.

10. otnemeM

otnemeM

Oct 29, 2002
    Ovar, Portugal
    :eek: err , his left hand is what? are you just out of your mind or are your eyes just way too messed up to let you see what's going on while Myung's playing?

I mean, check out the bass solo on Ytse Jam (pronounced why it see :D ) , or just about any fast line he plays (ok, forget the bass solo on Dance Of Eternity - 90% on his right hand).

He has an impressive technic ... combines right hand always-3-finger with a equally left hand precise technic. He practices for like... 20 hours a day. In every DT (dream theatER) video I see , like behind the scenes or behind the stage , or even while the other members just sleep , he's always putting his fingers hard at work (like all of you should do eheh).

I don't consider his technic to be the best one i've ever seen, or i almost did until I saw a gig here in portugal where Yngwie MAlmsteen had the wonderful idea of putting RANDY COVEN (ex-Steve Vai , ARK) on the bass. That guy has a perfect right hand (3 fingers every-freegin-time) and a monstruous left hand... He can go through his whole 3 octave scale in less than a blink of an eye in god-like conditions: perfect tone , no notes are hidden behind effects or noise , etc etc etc. (all of this strictly IMO)

anyway, don't put down Myung, he rules a lot.

I advise you to see DT live , there you WILL see what he's worth. Same thing for Randy Coven.

btw

11. otnemeM

otnemeM

Oct 29, 2002
    Ovar, Portugal
    ...btw ...

... leave your cojones at home so you don't lose 'em in the gig eheheheheheh :D :D :D

12. beermonkey

beermonkey

Sep 26, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    You missed my point... errr... I didn't make my point clear. ;)

His fingers are going 70,000,000 miles an hour and raging all over the fretboard, but he looks like he's putting zero effort into accomplishing this feat. His fingers move just enough to do what they have to, no more.. his technique is brilliant.

13. tappel

tappel

May 31, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    Ahh, leave it to a new member like me to dredge up an old thread... Randy Coven got the Yngwie gig because of John Macaluso, who was Yngwie's drummer at the time and a friend of Randy.

I know John; great guy, incredible drummer.

Tom

14. Razor

Razor

Sep 22, 2002
    Dallas
    I saw DT live a couple of weeks ago (different thread) and John's chops are....unbelieveable.
    He kinda stood in his area and absolutely made that Yamaha sing! I could hear him quite well and all I could see of his left hand was a blur. He's got some of the fastest fingers I have ever seen. DT is kinda love/hate when it comes to their music. I love the music and it was amazing to see such a tight, talented group of musicians playing with unbelieveable chops.:bassist:

15. please dont forget to download Trial of Tears. its a great song, very bass centered and JM wrote the lyrics for it as well, its absolutely beautiful. if you can find it the live version from once in a livetime is great too.

as far as his playing, where to start! he warms up for THREE HOURS! I think it can all be summed up by what former DT keyboardist Derick Sherinian said: "The man is an insane musician, hes the only guy i've ever heard of warming down after a show..."

he is by far one of the most technical players around, and is one of my biggest influences :)

16. Myung is da sh*t so to speak, at least for me.
    Great (and I mean great) four finger technic (even the pinky!), able to play everything, but people don't know that since they only focus on what he is doing with DT.
    If you listen to his other projects you can hear a bit of what this guy is up to.

Nr. 1 for me!
    My great inspirator and main motivation to buy a 6 strings...okay, I bought his sixstring!:D
    Wendy

17. hey wendy, nice to meet a fellow fan(atic)

i was going to get a yamaha trb6II but now im considering the rbx6jm instead, but i cant find it ANYWHERE! ive looked long and hard online and nowhere is selling it still :( you wouldnt have a link or anything would ya?

18. Hey, didn't we meet on the dream theater site? I got another screen name there!:D
    Try this for the bass:
    http://www.soundslive.co.uk/common/moreinfo.asp?ID=717

It is getting harder and harder to get one, I guess I was lucky, but I bought it over a year ago.

19. ACK that tone is an ugly green and no purdy inlay!

thanks anyways, but im probably gonna buy one from a fellow tber thats in like new condition for 500. whats your opinion of the bass?

20. John Myung is seriously insane... I didn't know he practiced so much, all I know is that he went to music school and he's pure sickness. I gotta listen to some of the songs you suggested... Glass Prison, Ytse Jam, and Home are my favorites.