Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Dream!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Gr8testBASSist, Apr 7, 2001.

1. Gr8testBASSist

Gr8testBASSist

Dec 17, 2000
    Chicago
    I wanna know every one out theres dream bass from type of wood to pick ups and strings. Come on people, let your selves loose.

2. Zjarrett

Zjarrett

Sep 17, 2000
    BN5 or BN6 lol I don't even care about the finish I just want an F Bass, it seems perfect.

3. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Hmm... any bass...

For production models, it's a toss up between a Lakland Bob Glaub signature and a Pedulla Buzz. If I could have it MY way... 4 strings, Graphite reinforced neck(wenge), ebony fingerboard (fretless, no lines), walnut body with some kind of non-shiny finish, two Bartolini soapbars w/coil taps, and a 2tek bridge. AND...

Think about this... there was an amp head in BP a few months ago, I think it was by Acoustic Image... anyway, it was 5 pounds, 8x6x2 inches, and put out 300 watts (into 2 ohms, but still...). So here's what I'm thinking: We have onboard preamps, how much longer until we have onboard amps? Well, if we ever do, (which we may not) I'll have one in my dream bass.

4. I.'.I.'.Nakoa

I.'.I.'.Nakoa Guest

Aug 10, 2000
    Fort Worth.
    mmm ill ahve mine once i get a job...

my own body style, i already have it drawn out..
    mahogony with a walnut top. 3 piece maple an walnut neck with the string spacing of my sound gear.... 6 strings, 36 inch scale, 2 tek or abm bridge . 24 frets. bartolini quad coil (mm style) at the bridge and a regular bart soapbar at the neck. bart pre amp with 3 band eq. dunlop strap locks, my name inlaid at the 12th fret. ebony fretboard.. all black hardware, an adjustable nut, like on the older warwicks. thats pretty much it... mmmm mmmm here is a rough drawing of what the body will look like. and if you want to tell me im stuopid for any of the options i have chosen, please keep them to your self

5. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Bass, i'd stick with a 35" scale, if i were you. If you've never played a 36" scale bass, i wouldn't advise getting one without ever playing one first. It can be a lot to handle, and many people simply can't handle the necks without pain. The only reason i ever could is because my hands can palm a wrecking ball. You won't notice the difference except in lack of string availablity and fret-spacing. I hope you have very good technique.

While this is a more personal thing, i'd say stay AWAY from the Bart Quad-coils, and just go with another soap in the bridge. The quad-coils are simply disgusting, i wouldnt get near them. Tons of tones, and very few useful, and even less good. Stick with a soapbar, dude!

6. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    I'd say the one I'm trying to get right now.

34" p-bass style, maple, set neck/maple fretboard 21 fretts, 2+2 headstock with gotoh tuners (regular, not elephant ear tuners)

2 seymour duncan split coil pickups

Mahagony semi-hollow body with padauk top

hipshot style b bridge, string through body configuration with the hollow chamber around where the strings go through the bass (leaving a little bit of wood to support the bass)

small all rounded type body like a scorpion/sb-1/ripper type body but smaller so it'll sound really clean when I play extremely fast.

2 volume controls, 2 tone controls, a pickup selecter. All passive.

I'm gonna venture to say that it'd be one hell of a bass.

7. David-Adler

David-Adler

Feb 28, 2001
    Bonn, Germany
    My Dream Bass:

Fretted 5-String
    35" Scale
    Body Shape like a Flea Bass but slightly different and without Pickguard
    Head Shape like a Mix from MuMan and Fender
    Swamp Ash Body with AAAAAA Quilted Maple Top
    Thin Maple Neck (16mm @ Nut), Birdseye Maple Fingerboard
    Spector Tobacco Sunburst Finish
    Gotoh Tuners (Small Ones)
    ABM Bridge with a 20mm String Spacing @ Bridge

That`d be it. And I´ll get it soon.

David

8. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    This is my Dream Bass #1
    OMEGA BASS 6

Body:
    Custom 6 String Bass Shape with Curved Back/Top
    Body Back: Mahogany
    Body Front: Zebrawood -Dark Straight- 40% of Body
    Tung Oil /Lemon Oil Finish

Neck:
    5 Piece Carbon Reinforced Wenge/Wenge/Mahogany/Wenge/Wenge with fast/asymetrical profile.
    Headstock Style: Conklin 7 String based headstock, custom shape with custom legend.
    Custom Abalone "Omega" Inlay on the Headstock
    Wenge or Pauferro Truss Rod Cover

Fingerboard:
    Wood: Pau Ferro with 25 Frets
    No position markers
    Custom Abalone "Infinity" Inlay at 12 Fret
    Scale Length : 34" (Small Hands)
    Action: 3/32" B String to less than 1/16" C String.

Hardware:
    Black Gotoh Tunning Keys
    Black Hipshot "A" 6 String Bridge 5A600 Brass 18mm String spacing
    Small Diameter Black Dome Knobs (5)
    Flush Mount Dunlop Straplocks

Pickups:
    Bartolini M56E TripleCoil Neck Pickup with 3 Position Switch (Parallel, Single Coil,Series)
    Bartolini M56EX TripleCoil Bridge Pickup with 3 Position Switch (Parallel, Single Coil, Series)
    Black with Flat Bats DPTT Switches
    Neck Pickup Upper Coil should be on standard J position, and the Bridge Pickup Lower Coil should be on standard J Position.

Electronics:
    Bartolini 18V Active/Passive HR-5.2AP NTMB018 3 Band Electronic Harness.
    Flush Mount Jack.

This bass will be ready in about 3 weeks

NOTICE: My other Dream Bass , is exactly like that, but with Swamp Ash Body/Quilted Maple top and Wenge/Ovangkol/Walnut/Ovangkol/Wenge Neck, I think I made a little mistake on the Mahogany Selection, but I hope it sounds great anyway.

9. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    HMMMM!!!!!

It'd be a Sadowsky/Spector mix!!!! It'd have Sad. 24 fret 5 string body (downsized J bass) but it'd have the Spector contoured shape. It's have a Spector 5 string maple neck, a pair of EMG 40 J's, either a Spec. Haz-Lab or Aguilar OBP-1 preamp, AAAA figured maple body, Maple fretboard w/abalone crown inlays. It's have all the gold hardware that Spector uses in his USA basses. It'd be called the NB-5!!!!!

10. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

This is a Dream, right? So, money is no object!:p

Custom made Conklin doubleneck, kinda like John Turner's, but with 2 6 string necks, 50% smaller body and no synth pickups.

Duncan MM bridge pickup/Bart Soapbar neck pickup on the fretted with the 3 band 18 volt Bart preamp, ABM bridge, and Lightwave pickup on the fretless, with some sort of 3 band preamp.

Necks would be 5 piece wenge/purpleheart/maple/purpleheart/wenge, wenge fretboard on the fretted, birdseye maple with Pedulla style Diamondkote on the fretless. Huge block Abalone inlays on both necks.

Body would be swamp ash, with a melted top of wenge, swamp ash, quilt maple, spalted purpleheart, flamed walnut and burled redwood. The quilt maple would extend up the fingerboard of the fretted neck, and the wenge would extend up into the fretless fingerboard.

Lightweight Schaller mini tuners. Black hardware.

11. good fella

good fella

Apr 3, 2001
    SD
    Fender precision bass. blue, with a gold pickguard. gotoh 201 bridge, chrome controls, and standard Fender pickups. equipt with Danelectron 45 guage strings(i do have bad taste, don't i?) and a 21 fret neck. ahh, that's right, i already HAVE this bass! how silly :D

12. lessee, mine might be a 5-string dingwall with the fanned fret system, neck through swamp ash with a bird's eye maple cap, natural finish, and pau ferro fretboard w/out fret markers. pickups would be toggled between twin passive J's and the lightwave system. built in straplocks, and a spector/warwick streamer body shape, but with a slightly longer upper horn. and a musicman headstock just because they look cool. the end.

13. a Musicman but with like 30 pickups (mixes of EMG, Bartolini, Lane Poor, etc.) but the pickups would be small and compact so the body wouldnt be too huge. 24 frets. itd be a 5 string but it would have the pickguard like a 4 string musicman. natural finish, maple neck, maple fretboard. the inlays would be normal inlays but my signature would be on the 12th fret. it would be extremely lightweight, easy to jump around and headbang and still play. itd also have a magic switch so when the magical switch is turned on the low B string flys away and re-adjusts itself so it can become a 4 string when i want it to. and flip the switch back and you get a 5 string again. it also grows its own strings, so i never have to buy strings again. and the strings would give me whatever sound i wanted. its also a variant of the Talk Bass, and it talks to me.

i call it the StingJake. and the price? only 100 bucks. :)

it IS a dream, right? :)

14. Steinberger XL shaped headless bass with hard ash body for balance (with conventional straplock buttons), bolt-on graphite 24 (jumbo) fret neck (42mm nut width), detuning bridge.

soapbar split coil humbucking pickup in P bass position, triple coil MM pickup at bridge (placed like a Lakland with the bridge coil where a J bass p/up would be), 5-way rotary selector with presets for sweetspots, plus parallel/series/single selector for MM p/up.

switchable passive/active circuit with 3band EQ.

and a P type headed bass as well with the same setup.....:)

15. Ïn±ë®nål¦P®ÏMå±Ë

Ïn±ë®nål¦P®ÏMå±Ë Guest

Feb 14, 2001
    Canada
    All I want is an Ibanez SR885 in a Transperant Blue finish with gold hardware, EMG pickups, Ernie Ball Slinky strings and dunlop strap locks.

16. Hum...

Mine would have a new fretboard design that, with the flip of a switch or lever, would lower the frets and raise fretlines where the frets were (spring loaded) turning the bass into a fretless.

The neck would have the feel and sound of a Sadowsky with the low maintenance of phenowood.

The electronics would also be flexible, instantly optimizing for fretted or fretless. Active/passive. Single coil/humbucking. Dead quiet. 6-Style selectable: Jaco sober, Jaco not, Marcus, Jamerson, Manring, User programmable. Dedicated battery compartment with an on/off switch so I could keep the bass plugged in without draining the battery. Built in tuner.

Ash body with either a spalted or burl top (maple or buckeye burl), oiled finish. Matching headstock.

Heavy bridge (Sadowsky-type) dual position to optimize fretless/fretted string height, bone nut. Lightweight tuners.

Under 10 lbs.

Anyone want a project? ;)

Jeff

17. some guy in Sweden built a bass with that exact system- I remember seeing it on UK TV's "Tomorrow's World".
    the guy demonstrated it by slapping away with the frets raised, then flicked the lever......
    and then proceeded to slap away just as before but with the frets lowered:rolleyes:

maybe the idea would have taken off if he'd played some Jaco licks instead....

18. What about <a href=http://modulusguitars.com/images/Q6chech.jpg>this</a>?

Modulus Quantum 6-string with a grenadillo fingerboard, chechen top, and Bartolini pickups and eletronics.

19. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Warmoth 5er (at moment). Maple neck, RW fretboard, abalone oval inlays, bolt on with the 3+2 headstock, with matching veneer (emerald green quilted maple). With a Deluxe Five body in a quilted maple top colored dark emerald green. MM+J barts (maybe duncans) with a Bart HR5.3AP (possibly active/passive) harness (18 volt) with the 3 selector on the MM. 18mm string spacing, with all gold hardware...drool....

20. Suburban

Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    True....
    WHO WAS IT? (Sorry about the shouting...)