1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

"Dreambuild": expectancy of tone when mixing koa, wenge and ebony?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by KF2B, May 6, 2018.

1. KF2B

KF2B

Jan 28, 2013
    Finland
    Greetings,

I thought of posting this here as a) I guess this is where the people with most expertise on the subject lure, and b) I thought that people herein might find the topic of interest to them. So...

As of writing this, I am amassing parts for a unique precision bass. I have the body and neck already (both Warmoth), so those are given. Before committing to buying pickups, I´d like to have a better understanding of the tone expectancy based on the woods alone? (yeah, I know, I know...Trying is knowing, yes, but as this is a discussion forum and some people do believe - as I do - that different woods behave differently... I thought of asking). These are the woods:
    • P neck: quartersawn wenge / graphite rods / ebony fb / Graphtech nut / SS6230 frets.
    • P body: solid build koa / satin lacquer finish.
    I am on the understanding that wenge is midrangey with sharp attack, that ebony is bright, and that koa is pretty much like mahogany but a tad brighter.

Now, I was originally leaning towards EMG Geezer pickup but am now wondering whether a tad less gutsy pickup (Kloppmann P 63?) would be a better match...

THE QUESTION TO YOU:
    What kind of a tone would you expect this wood combo to produce if the woods in question would behave like they (koa/wenge/ebony) do typically?

Thanks.

2. HaMMerHeD

HaMMerHeD

May 20, 2005
    Itll sound like a P bass.

3. KF2B

KF2B

Jan 28, 2013
    Finland
    Good to know! :)

4. JIO

JIO Connery... Sean Connery Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 30, 2010
    The Mission SF/CA
    musician/artist/owner - Gildaxe
    Koa is a dense hardwood - I wouldn't compare it tonally to mahogany which is a softer wood. Mahogany is warmer sounding - koa is more like maple. I made this bass w/a body of solid koa - it's thinner than a P-bass but even still it is very heavy. Couple that with ebony and wenge, which are also heavy - and you will end up with a very heavy bass. I'm sure it will sound good - my bass does, especially being fretless but I'm glad it doesn't have a wenge (heavier) neck ... or a hs. :)

fullsizeoutput_d86.jpeg

KF2B likes this.
  5. JIO

JIO Connery... Sean Connery Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 30, 2010
    The Mission SF/CA
    musician/artist/owner - Gildaxe
    I made another bass, a P that has a heavy ash body, wenge neck and ebony fb. I chambered the body within an inch of its life which helped lighten it and installed a Curtis Novak Dark-Star with one stacked V/T knob. It's still heavy, but the tone/sound is monstrous - it is a truly amazing sounding bass. FTR, a Geezer P pu is not in your face. It's mid-rangy and very well mannered - I have one in a DeArmond Jet-star and it sounds really good recorded. There's a thread of Gezzer pu devotees if you want further opinions.

KF2B likes this.
  6. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 12, 2021