Dreaming of a bass, anyone seen one like this?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by frodebass, Apr 13, 2004.

1. frodebass

Apr 11, 2004

Just had a vision in my dreams, and that's never a good sign...

Dreamt of a 6-string bass, fretted with 24 frets, neck through, ebony board with no inlays, just dots on the side, piezo pickups, and no magnetic pickup, controls somewhere else than on the top, maybe no controls, simply on full all the time?

This would give me a bass were the wood would be the most important. No electronics or pickups in the way, only hands to rely on to shape the sound.

I agree, it will not be a versatile instrument, and not usable in many situations, but I'm really looking for something of a signature thing, something that would be just mine.

Has this been done before?
    I am aware of the Parker basses, and the bass Steve Swallow plays. No magnetic PU, but he plays a 5, and I don't think those are pretty instruments.

Right now I feel like I am playing a beatiful instrument when playing upright bass, it's an old bass from the 1850's, and has personality and charisma. I want the same feeling when I play electric. That exlusive feeling.

Ideas? Anyone? Have I finally lost it? If so, I still want a bass like this....

2. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Maybe Jack Read or Rick Turner?
  3. Make somebody build you one!
  4. Carl Thompson in NYC - all of his creations are works of art, as well as excellent translators of feeling into reality via vibration. No doubt he could hand-make your vision a reality...but for how much krone?
  5. frederic b. hodshon

frederic b. hodshon Supporting Member

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    i know you said no mags, but...

6. smperry

smperry Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Martin Keith Guitars
  7. Im a sock

Im a sock

Dec 23, 2002
    Central MA
    Wishy might build one like that for ya.

EDIT: 600th post. Yessssssss.....
  8. elros

Apr 24, 2004
    Proprietor, Helland Musikk Teknologi
    Interesting concept, that.

I was thinking somewhat along the same lines myself, except I would want magnetics as well (mainly because I can't afford limiting the instrument so much) and I was thinking seven string (because I used to play an 8-string Warr and I miss it). But don't you think Listerud would build you what you want? I think he wood :)

9. as far as looking for your bass, cant tell ya, just wanted to say nice playin and nice website. I linked to it via international instituite of bassists and liked it alot. Good stuff!!
  10. Meehaw

Jun 11, 2003
    Gdynia, Poland
    Lightwave perhaps?
  11. BassFelt

Mar 26, 2002
  12. sheepdog

Feb 20, 2003
    Birmingham, AL
    a guy going by JazzAd on harmony central's bass forum and ebassist is building a 5 string that sounds similar. He is using lightwaves and piezo...no magnetic pickups. Seems like the front of it is fairly free of controls, but I can't remember exactly. Looks pretty nice.
  13. slamzilla

Feb 17, 2004
    Looks like someone made a nice little Warmoth custom! :D
  14. rusty

Mar 29, 2004
    Perhaps you should take a look at the <a href="http://www.pdmedia.se/edin-bass/lightwave.htm">lightwave models</a> of <a href="http://www.pdmedia.se/edin-bass/welcome.htm">Edin basses</a> :)