Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Dreams do come true(hail to aggy gods)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by toby, Mar 21, 2005.

1. toby

toby

Feb 10, 2005
    SF Bay Area
    So last week I posted my review on my new aguilar gs412 cab. I'll say it again this cab is awesome. I want to share my weekend head search.
    I dragged my cab and bass to my local guitar center to try out an svt classic and a mesa m-pulse600. This particular store also had a used aguilar db359 (the $3000 one) Well, the svt was not what I wanted, a little too muddy for my taste, then i played the m-pulse. Im really looking for tube sound, but this hybrid is awesome, very versitile, lots of power and less than half the weight of an svt classic or fender bassman 300(which is a rad tube amp I think) Well, after the m-pulse, just for fun I decided to try aggy's top o the line amp. 2 weeks ago this head had a used sticker on it for 2100 bucks. Awesome amp, but no way Im spending that kind of money on a used head. I flipped the price tag around and what do I see? Marked down to 1000!!!! In perfect condition!!! Suddenly my plan to sell some old gear before I buy a head goes out the window. I thought, will 200 watts be loud enough to compete with my loud ass drummer and 2 marshall half stacks? Well, there was 25 to 30 wankers in there playing there own version of there favorite Rush or Metallica songs, so I decided to try and see what this amp had. And let me tell you, everyone in that store was giving me dirty looks, point being.... Plenty loud. This amp is the warmest, fattest, butteryest??? Glassiest head Ive ever played. And after 3 managers looked at the tag, scratched their heads and wondered why I was buying it from them for less than what they paid for it, I left the store with all aggy rig.

2. What can i say . . . Score!

( i take you swapped the tags ;) )

3. toby

toby

Feb 10, 2005
    SF Bay Area
    HAHA, no I didnt swap the tags. Turns out, the store marked this head down for some 1 day sale, the head didnt sell, and they forgot to mark it back up. My friend is one of the bass guys there, and he pretty much flipped out. They bought it for 1200!!!

4. Pickebass

Pickebass Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2004
    San Antonio, TX
    Great score!! One of the best sounding amps you'll ever play!! You'll become addicted!!

5. Folmeister

Folmeister Knowledge is Good - Emile Faber Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas
    Hmmm, sounds like the very same amp that El Cerrito had when I bought my used DB 728 from them. Now that was a deal. If I remember, that one was going for $2100. I have been told that any 359 with a serial number less than 1000 has some design flaw that Aguilar may not be fixing currently. I heard this from the guy who was originally going to buy the one in El Cerrito and then talked to Aggie. He passed for the above stated reason. Wheather it's true or not remains to be seen.

6. toby

toby

Feb 10, 2005
    SF Bay Area
    Hmm design flaw? Do you know any more about this. Im not sure what my serial # is, but it was El Cerrito. I played the amp for an hour or so and it sounded perfect though.

7. toby

toby

Feb 10, 2005
    SF Bay Area
    So I decided to write Aguilar and ask about the design that was mentioned above. And I got a response in less than 30 minutes!!! Maybe Im wrong, I think thats pretty awesome.
    Here is what Dave B had to say

Hi Brian,

Don't believe everything you hear!
    The only thing we changed over time was we went to a reset circuit to
    replace one of the internal pico fuses. A faulty tube may cause this
    fuse to go (that's what it's there for). With the reset circuit you
    don't have solder in a new pico fuse. We don't retrofit the amps with
    this circuit. Enjoy the amp and don't worry about it!

The GS 412 is a very, very efficient cabinet and does sound great with
    the DB 359!

Thanks for the compliments. Let me know how it goes.

Best,

Dave Boonshoft

8. Senor SQUID

Senor SQUID Guest

Jan 11, 2004
    Congrats man and that is why AGUILAR is the best company in the universe. HAHAHAHAHAHA.

9. Folmeister

Folmeister Knowledge is Good - Emile Faber Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas
    O.k., so I had somewhat correct information. Better safe than sorry! Enjoy your amp, it was a heck of a deal!

10. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Awesome score! That is, indeed, the stuff dreams are made of - at least for a gear freak like myself!

11. That's a great soundin' head........ :eek:
    I scored a used one around the hollidays......... :D
    The dude that I bought it from didn't pack it good enough and it got damaged.......... :scowl:
    It works great now though.......... :cool:
    I'm glad that I didn't listen to the guys that were sayin' that it isn't LOUD enough !
    Through an efficient cab it's plenty loud for me with tone to the bone !
    CONGRATS !

JJ

12. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I also managed to score a used DB 359. And it, too, was slightly damaged in shipping (UPS left it stacked on its side - in an Anvil rack - in the truck, and as a result, the face plate got bent a bit - but the seller acquired a new face plate from Aguilar, and now all is good!).

This amp has really impressed me. The tone is just outrageously good. Probably my favorite Aggie tone (though I really haven't explored the full limits of what my 680/728 can do). It is just beautiful sounding. Very refined, and not what you would expect from an all-tube head. Well, at least not what I expected. As for volume, it is quite respectable, but I haven't gigged with it yet, so I am not sure if it will be enough for my loudish rock band. I am thinking of racking it up along with a Crest CA9 and powered two or more cabs with both. Sort of a best of both worlds (tube and SS) rig.

The DB 359 is certainly one of the gems in my personal collection!

Tom.