1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Drifter - By Luarel Canyon - UPDATE

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Sonicfrog, Oct 27, 2013.

1. Sonicfrog

Sonicfrog Supporting Member

Jan 4, 2008
    Fresno, CA
    Hey TB Friends... I FINALLY did it! Recorded and mixed an original song!

Here's the song Drifter I've been mixing this weekend for my band Laurel Canyon. The recording was done live in bandmate Jim Rust's living-room. I sweetened it a bit, added a touch of compression (not much) and some reverb here and there, took out some of Jim's inhales (I had no idea he was such a breather!); and added a few extras - extra harmonies in the bridge, the 12 string guitar, which fought with me tooth and nail - but this is the essence of a live Laurel Canyon performance.

I'm taken the recording and listened on a couple of different stereo systems to make sure the dynamics are even on differeent systems. I haven't tried mastering this yet... I don't really know what mastering is anyway! S:)

This is my first real attempt at mixing a multi track song. If any of you with more experience have any suggestions, I would love any advise. I want to learn how to do this better, which, of course, is why I'm on this forum in the first place!

PS. My DAW is PreSonus Studio One.

PPS. I'm the harmonies guy. I start singing at the second verse. I'm playing the bassline on the acoustic guitar, and trying to play the 12'er... That took me about 30 takes!!!!! I don't normally play it for the song, but thought it would sound interesting, so I put it on there.

PPPS. The song was written by bandmate Jim Rust, not me. I wish i could take credit for it.

UPDATE!..... This morning, I went in and reworked the instrumental at the beginning. There were some sloppy guitaring bits and artifacts in the first four measures that were bugging me.... Eating at me!!!! I had tried to fix them before and had some success, but it wasn't still quite right. The last time i was working with that specific part of the recording. This time I listened to the whole thing. Jim never plays the parts quite the same, but I found that in the solo section, he did play a few measures that were very close. I duplicated that part and laid it over. It took a bit to get the parts aligned, but, after some serious editing and crossfades, I'm now happy with the results.

I'm still less than pleased with the 12 sting solo, but I'll probably have a friends who is better on that instrument dub something in for my.

Drifter.... That almost final mix!

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 16, 2014