Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

drilling a hole on my bass...help!!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by korchm, Nov 11, 2003.

1. korchm

korchm

Jul 17, 2003
    toronto, canada
    hey guys, i need your help. i am drilling two holes into my bass. where do i start drilling? front or from inside the cavity?

korch

2. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    What would really help us is...

Why.

3. korchm

korchm

Jul 17, 2003
    toronto, canada
    im adding two switches from the preamp i bought.

4. start from the front. go slow.

5. sambass

sambass

Apr 15, 2003
    MA
    more details dude, lay it on us thick

6. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    Use masking tape to drill through. This will stop the paint from chipping when you drill.

7. Josh Curry

Josh Curry

May 29, 2003
    Frisco, TX
    Definitely start from the front. The back of the hole will always chip and splinter. And place a piece or 2 of masking tape at the place where you are going to drill, this can help prevent the finish from chipping on the front. Get a brand new very sharp bit and drill carefully. The drill speed should be slow and don't push too hard.

8. Josh Curry

Josh Curry

May 29, 2003
    Frisco, TX
    damn, you guys type faster than me ;)

9. korchm

korchm

Jul 17, 2003
    toronto, canada
    hahaha, you guys type fast!

for the details, i juts bought an obp-3 an i need two more holes for the two swithces.

thanks for the "FAST" replies!!!

cheers
    korch

10. Aren't switches optional with the OBP-3?

Just wondering.

11. korchm

korchm

Jul 17, 2003
    toronto, canada
    yes, you can order them without the switches. i ordered mine with a mid selector switch and an active/passive switch.

korch

12. Boozy

Boozy

Apr 29, 2002
    Kelowna BC, Canada
    Well whats the deal? What bass are you putting the preamp in? I mean, can you just drill holes for the switches on the cover plate? Couldnt you get push pull pots rather than switches? (maybe it is more difficult, I dunno).. Do you have no cover plate and plan on drilling from the cavity on the backside of the bass, through to the top of the bass? If this is so, drill from the top into the bass and out through the cavity on the backside. Use masking tape on the top.

I dunno.

13. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Wanna hear a funny drilling story? This one's a shocker. Adrian, if you're listening, I'm almost ashamed to tell this tale, but here goes...

The very first F bass I ever got, back in '91 or something, had a really bad hum problem. So I decided to do "a little rewiring". The more I played around, the more I thought of clever things I could do to enhance the sound and playability.

I fixed the hum, that part was easy, and by the time I got done with it the bass had eight knobs on it (the original five - this was the old style F bass preamp - plus three more! I had to get George to custom mill me some knobs 'cause one of the pots was a "miniature" and had a really tiny shaft). So (and this is the part that makes me queasy every time I talk about it) I had to drill three extra holes into my cerruse F bass.

Well, it's all good. It came out fine. I used a variable speed Dremel MotoTool to make the holes, and enlarged them by hand with a precision reamer and a few files. It's actually a stereo bass now, it has all kinds of groovy features. I ended up selling it when I got another new F bass a few years later (the new preamps sound so much better than the old ones, plus most of the hum problems have disappeared). I'll see if I can find some pictures of it, if so I'll post 'em.

And did I use all the extra knobs? Heck yeah! I have a couple of recordings to prove that it actually worked the way it was supposed to. In the old days I used to lug around a stereo rig (ah, to be young again), and it was really cool to be able to make the bass "move" across the stage in conjunction with a killer RotoTom groove or some such thing. It really was a superbly functional bass. These days I'm perfectly content with my stereo Alembics, and don't feel the need to drill any extra holes in those...