Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

drilling extra control holes?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by xcental34x, Oct 23, 2004.

1. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    Does anyone have any advice as to go about drilling two extra control holes in the front of a basses body? I just ordered an Ibanez ATK 100 and I'd like to see about adding a Seymour Duncan MM preamp on it, but since it only has two knobs, I'll need two extra holes. Is this something any good shop will do, or does it require an experienced luthier?

~Patrick

2. ApeIsHigh81

ApeIsHigh81

Aug 24, 2004
    CA
    This belongs in setup I believe, The stear in your sig is steer, take it to a luthier so you will remain happy with it, and congrats on the atk.

3. have you thought about perhaps getting a Bartolini preamp? I know they offer a lot of different knob arrangements. My current bass only has 4 knobs, Vol, Blend, Bass, Treb, but I would like a 3-band EQ and found Bartolini offers a 4-knob 3-band EQ preamp (Vol, Blend, Mid, Bass/Treb stack). As for Seymour Duncan, I don't know if they do that sorta stuff.

4. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Yes. Here's the way I usually go about adding extra holes. First, decide where you want the new control and drill a guide hole with a MotoTool. Use a small drill, like maybe a 1/16. Then expand it to the size you want, by redrilling with a larger bit, at high speed. The last part is very important to prevent from cracking the finish. Sometimes I even redrill twice when I want to be especially careful, like with an Alembic or something. Try to avoid using reamers or files unless absolutely necessary, although a small wedge of fine sandpaper will be useful to clean up the hole when it's done. I drill from the top side (the finish side, not from the inside of the cavity), and obviously I'm very careful not to slip the drill. :)

5. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao España
    stacked knobs already exist, go to www.bestbassgear.com and look for aguilar preamps, they come wired too

6. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    Well I've decided that I'm going to try and convince my friend to trade me his white ATK 300 body for mine plus some money if he likes it, and then if not, I'm going to look to adding some extra holes. Is this something a normal shop will do? I'm only really looking to use a Basslines preamp, preferably a MM. They're just better for the midscooped sound I like.

7. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao España
    You can do it yourself (or take it to a luthier or guitar tech) as long as you have enough room in the control cavity to put the pream the battery and the aditional pots.