1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Drilling holes in the neck

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by IWillFlyOneDay, Mar 27, 2013.

1. IWillFlyOneDay

IWillFlyOneDay Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2007
    Forgive my ignorance, but I've never done any alterations on a bass before. I have a Fender Japanese Jazz that I broke the neck on (being a young punk rock kid I threw it, I know I know) and so I need to get a new neck for it. I thought about just trying to pick up a used neck on the Accessories section here...however, I noticed the neckplate on the back is triangular with three screws in a triangle shape instead of the normal 4 screws in a square shape. If I buy a regular neck and drill a new hole in the center to fit my neckplate, could that potentially damage the neck or anything?

2. scottbass

scottbass Bass lines like a big, funky giant

Jul 13, 2004
    Southern MN
    No. Drill the hole where it needs to be. Just make sure you drill it straight - exactly perpendicular to the flat surface - so the alignment doesn't shift when you tighten it down. Use a drill press if you have access to one.

Of course I'm assuming that you will check to make sure the center hole won't try to occupy the same space the truss rod does!

I would recommend you just get a 4-hole neck plate to use with your 4-hole neck. Then you will need to drill two new holes in the neck pocket (body) rather than one new hole in the neck. But it will look better when you're done and you won't have to worry about drilling into the truss rod.

3. kzr750r1

kzr750r1

Aug 12, 2011
    NorCal
    Best to also to drill glue and dowel the other two so it's solid again. Main thing is take your time and measure 6 times before making any steps. Also clamp this neck into a vice with some scrap wood on either side so you don't mar the finish and or mess up the frets.