1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

drilling to make tuners fit

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by jIvan, Aug 8, 2007.

1. jIvan

jIvan

Mar 25, 2006
    Vancouver, BC
    i have some tuners that i like and want to keep. but unfortunately they don't fit my neck! is it possible to fill those old holes with something and then redrill new ones so they can?

2. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    I take it the holes are too large?

Riis

3. jIvan

jIvan

Mar 25, 2006
    Vancouver, BC
    the holes don't match up with the tuners, i'm just wondering if i would be able to make new ones

4. Foamy

Foamy

Jun 26, 2006
    Sac Area
    You may be able to get some bushings.

5. jIvan

jIvan

Mar 25, 2006
    Vancouver, BC
    how would the bushings help?

6. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize!

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    I bought some tuners that where too small for the original holes. I didn't realize that tuners came in different sizes.

So I filled the holes with dowels and drilled new ones. The drill press was really cheap, one of those ones that holds a normal drill, and the bits moved around so none of the holes are exactly center. But it worked for years! Here is a sample picture:

[​IMG]

More pictures of the bass here.

7. jIvan

jIvan

Mar 25, 2006
    Vancouver, BC
    i think i've been misleading people here...when i meant that the holes didn't fit, i meant the screw holes in the back...

sorry for the confusion and troubles...

8. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize!

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    Oh, no problem. Just use a drill bit slightly smaller than the screw to start the holes. Don't drill all the way through ;)

If the old screw holes show, I wouldn't even worry about it. Who looks at the back of the headstock anyway?

But you could fill them with wood putty or the wood sticks (can't remember what they are called). Just get something that is a close match.

9. jIvan

jIvan

Mar 25, 2006
    Vancouver, BC
    sweet. thanks!

10. Jonny B

Jonny B

Nov 5, 2006
    WI
    Just fill the holes with wood putty, I had the same problem years ago. Just make SURE you do not drill through the head stock as was said before. A good idea would be to measure the thickness of your head stock, then wrap a piece of tape around your drill bit at least a quarter inch short of that measurement.

11. Jeff Bonny

Jeff Bonny Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2000
    Vancouver, BC
    Or tooth picks and white glue.

12. Foamy

Foamy

Jun 26, 2006
    Sac Area
    Just leave the holes. You may want to put the others back on.

13. Jeff Bonny

Nov 20, 2000
    Vancouver, BC
    If you fill 'em you can still put the screws back in. A lot of time you want to snap a round toothpick off into a hole you're putting a screw back into anyway so you get max grip from a used hole. This is very common to have to do with pick guard holes.

14. Foamy

Foamy

Jun 26, 2006
    Sac Area

Fill them then.
    I think a hole looks a lot better than what used to be a hole filled with a toothpick and glue, but whatever. If one ever wanted to re-install the stock tuners, one would have to re-drill.
    But honestly, enough time wasted on this thread, no? It really doesn't matter.
    :)

15. Jeff Bonny

Nov 20, 2000
    Vancouver, BC
    No redrilling required....white glue and toothpicks are very soft and make an old hole work better. Just force the screw in and it naturally finds the original hole in the hardwood and chews up the softwood toothpick. If you used maple dowel or epoxy to fill then yes, you'd have to re-drill. The toothpick thing is something I've done many, many times and it's a stock luthier trick to make a worn hole work again WITHOUT re-drilling. There, you learned something.
    Now THAT we agree on.

16. jIvan

jIvan

Mar 25, 2006
    Vancouver, BC
    no worries, i just left the holes alone and redrilled new ones next to them, so this thread should be done and over with.

thanks for all your help!