Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Drink in the amp!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Microbass, Jan 16, 2006.

1. Doh!!!
    I knocked over a glass of pepsi, which landed on top of my amp, and neatly emptied it's contents into the vent on the top. Rats. It wasn't switched on, and I haven't turned it on. It's a SS Carlsboro PA mixer head.

How should I go about testing this, to make sure everything is ok? I intend to give the amp a coupla days to dry out, then i'll open it up and clean off an residue.

thx... doh! :meh:

2. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

I would get it to a good tech immediately, don't delay at all. Ask him to use distilled water for initial cleaning, and to try not to spread the residue more. Most colas have phosphoric acid in them, which eats copper circuit board traces quite effectively. :meh: Hope you get lucky and the Pepsi didn't get in the wrong spots.

3. amistybleu

amistybleu

Jan 15, 2006
    Thornton, CO
    We Have a rule in our studio called no drinks near sensative electronic equipment: oops! too late fore that post:bawl: , I agree that you should get that thing to a service rep ASAP

4. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    First of all, good on you for resisting the "Let's turn it on and see if it did anything" inclination many people would have in such a situation.

Second, then give yourself a dope slap for spilling into your amp in the first place. ;)

As long as you don't turn it on or even plug it in, the amp will probably be okay. You will need to open it and wash out any soft drink residue with distilled water, then let it dry thoroughly before closing it back up. You can do this yourself or pay a technician to do it. I don't know how big a glass of Pepsi you spilled into your amp, but I've probably seen worse than that get cleaned up and working fine.

5. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

LOL...you've probably seen much worse Bob! Sea water's pretty scary, for one. Cola's nasty though. It's a huge bonus that the amp wasn't running at the time, in any case.

6. TrooperFarva

TrooperFarva

Nov 25, 2004
    New City, NY
    I was in the loud room at the 14th Street Guitar Center a few days ago with a guitarist buddy of mine. At the time, they had a vintage Marshall head and cab stack for $4500, a Bad Cat combo for $2700, and some old Fenders and stuff. So soem random guy is playing one of the Fenders, and this salesman walks in. He says "Want to hear the best amp in here?" and proceeds to put his Coolatta on the $4500 Marshall. He walks over to the Bad Cat, and flips both the Power switch and Standby switch at the same time. My buddy actually took the drink off the amp and set it down. Disaster waiting to happen.

7. dave_p

dave_p

Dec 20, 2005
    CT
    i had an old peavy mark iv that drank a whole tall boy budweiser. went right down that vent on top. i never did anything about it and it kept on running and sounded as mediocre as ever.

gotta love peavey.

8. Keeaumoku

Keeaumoku

Dec 29, 2004
    About 30 years ago, I once witnessed some fool knock over an almost full 12-ounce cup of beer... down the top vents of a Motorola color TV!

:eek: Yup! It was on, and you talk about a 'light show'... :bag:

9. FunkSlap89

FunkSlap89

Apr 26, 2005
    Albany, NY
    Lol, thats hilarious... so true though, those peavey amps can go to hell and back and still look as ugly as they did new. :p

10. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Did anyone read the thread about the guy from Louisiana that had the GK full of mud? He washed it out with a garden hose, then sent it to GK. All it needed was a fuse holder, and a new potentiometer. They did some more thorough cleaning and it was just fine.

11. +1 :p

12. iammr2

iammr2

Jun 10, 2002
    Tejas
    On a gig, turned around just in time to watch a longneck dump it's contents into the vent on top a Marshall. Snap, crackle, and pop, she was gone. The coolest little mushroom cloud came out through the vent!