Drink lots of water is the moral of the story

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by LiquidMidnight, Jun 7, 2005.

1. LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    Hey all;

I just finished up a bout of dehydration, wasn't fun at all. I did a gig this past Sunday and didn't drink anything the whole time I was on stage. I was under intelligent lights, which don't burn as hot as some cans I've been under, but couple that with a hot, humid night, and you've got a recipe for dehydration. I got a Mountain Dew off of the club owner at the end of the night (after I loaded up my equipment). I stopped and got a slushie at Sheetz on the way home. I woke up after about 2 hours of sleep. I threw up anything I put in my body with the exception of water, even Pepto. It was like I had a bad hangover without drinking any alcohol. I started feeling better in the afternoon, but I still was far from being 100%. I basically laid in bed for 30 hours straight.

When your up on stage, be sure to drink plenty of fluids. :D
  2. Amen to that. Never had it that bad though, thankfully.
  3. NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    my wife and i bought one of those cold water dispensers - it changed our lives!!

i love water, don't even drink soda's or juices at home anymore, i feel much better, but i'm still fat. maybe we should get a jenny craig TV dinner dispenser next.
  4. Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    I've been there, I've actually reached the point of dehydration where even water would make me sick. The only thing I could do was eat a slurry of ice chips adn gatorade. Not fun, I hate gatorade but its about the only thing that can get electrolytes back into your body fast enough to be useful under those circumstances...and I hate needles more.
  5. LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    Amen to that. Water does taste much better out of those things than straight from the tap.

Tash, I drank some Gatorade and even threw that up. I know a drummer who once did a double header in one day, outside gig first and then straight to a club. He didn't get a chance to eat or drink between the gigs. He passed out on his kit during the last number and had to be rushed to the hospital. He almost died of dehydration.
  6. msquared

Sep 19, 2004
    Kansas City
    Note: Coffee, most soda, and any alcohol will dehydrate you.
  7. Absolutely. Osmosis and all that.
  8. Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    Drink plenty of water nonetheless - never know when you're gonna need it :p

And I learned the hard way not to drink soda...especially during the track season, as I drank a 2 liter every day...yeah. I was still fast, but I was just a little dehydreated...
  9. 2L?! Wow. Didn't that stick your insides together? :p

Still, you've seen the light now :)
  10. Viper

Viper Guest

Jun 2, 2004
    Williamsport PA0
    .... I still drink about 3 liters a day, it's so hard when your parents own a bar/resturaunt... I know it's bad for me but if I try and stop it like gives me horrible headaches and what not... it's not fun
  11. playmybass

Mar 28, 2004
    Tucson, Az
    Up on stage, for a 30 minute set I easily go through 3-4 bottles of water, and a couple before the gig.
  12. MazeMouse

Jan 27, 2005
    My enormous sweating problem isn't really helping me so I always have 2 2liter bottles of water with me when I go on stage.... I just need a single 45minutes set to finish 1 and go halfway down the other. (drinking between each and every song)
  13. Yeh, you should drink about 2L of water a day, even without any tiring activity. If you are doing a gig, I would probably take twice as much, definately at least 3L, but more would be better :d
  14. But what about pee?
  15. People will wonder why you're jumping around on stage... :p

I usually drink a lot of water before/during/after a performance. I had a show last Saturday, and the water they provided on the stage was ice cold -- which was great because it was a really hot day. I dunno if it's just me, but ice cold water makes me need to pee a whole lot more than "normal-temperature" water.
  16. MazeMouse

Jan 27, 2005
    If I'm sweating like no tomorrow I tend to not have that pee problem (more of the "AAAAAAH SWEAT IN MY EYE" problem)
  17. Ioang

May 5, 2005
    Nothing worse than desperately needing a piss onstage though! Don't overdo it in long sets!
  18. mike1968

mike1968 Guest

Nov 12, 2004
    e'ville Indiana
    I once drank plenty of water but failed to eat all day. I had to go to the hospital because I was walking around like I was drunk, talking and making no sense, had stopped sweating and was red as a beet.My blood pressure was sky high and my heart felt like it was gonna explode. Turns out there are many kinds of heat exhaustion. I had depleted most of my minerals/electrolytes because I failed to eat or drink anything but water. By the way ,pedialite tastes really bad but if cut in half with water it is not to bad,it is an excellent way to replinish your electrolytes after drinking booze say the night before you plan to be in the sun/heat all day. it works 300% better than gatorade.
  19. I drink about 1.5 litres a day on average.

Don't get into the habit of thinking that the more water you drink, the better it will be for you. Ideally you should drink about 1.5 to 2 litres a day. A bit less or a bit more is fine, but drinking heaps more is not good for you. It will dilute the amount of salt you have in your body and can cause you to get sick. Extreme amounts of water (7 or more litres) can even cause you to go into a coma because your sodium levels are so low that your brain begins to swell. I remember seeing a doco about this lady working in the Aussie outback in 50 degree heat (celcius). She was drinking as much as 8.5 litres a day, and ended up in hospital in a coma for like a week.
  20. This is so scary, I drink a ton of water every day, and over the past month it's basically doubled since the weather has gotten hotter, and I've been feeling sick for a week or so. Loss of apetite and energy, my eyes are sore when I move them around, and the front of my forehead hurts. I'm going to the nightclinic tonight to make sure I'm okay, I just figured it was a fever, but now I'm a little worried.