Drink Up... You really can taste the Arsenic

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by bass_is_for_me, May 15, 2003.

1. bass_is_for_me

Jan 1, 2003
    Well I was reading an older 2001 article posted in my chemisrty class. And it said

"Acting on orders from the White House, EPA Administrator Christie Whitman stopped implementation of new rules, scheduled to take effect March 23, reducing the level of arsenic in drinking water. Current regulations, adopted way back in 1942, allow 50 parts per billion; new rules would have reduced that to 10 parts per billion."

"The White House has rolled back virtually every environmental regulation issued by Clinton Administration in the final months in office -- and turned environmental decision-making over to the major polluters."

So please remember less Arsenic in your drinking water is something everyone does not want.

"Excessive levels of arsenic in drinking water -- caused, in part, by run-off from mining operations in Western states -- have been identified by the National Academy of Sciences as a cause of bladder, lung and kidney cancer. "

I am going to have a nice glass of Water.
  2. Nate Dawg

Nate Dawg

Apr 8, 2000
    Denver, CO
    This is why I only eat skittles. No harmful chemicals and all the fruit intake I need to get me through the day.
  3. Surely 0 parts per billion is the ideal level, no?
  4. moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    You didn't see that programme about Homeopathy last night then? :D
  5. If you do the math you will realize that 50 parts per million is quite small and that having this ratio hasn't affected your citizens too badly.

To those neutropaths you really should listen to biochemists as op
  6. BigBohn

Sep 29, 2001
    WPB, Florida

Old news. I sure hope you're not this slow in catching up on what else our good ol buddy G-Dubya is doing in office to "better our lives". I would think that he would like to keep most of his citizens alive so they can pay taxes, but I guess not.