Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

drinking and playing, .....bad or........?

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by Jasnewsted, Mar 19, 2001.

1. Jasnewsted

Jasnewsted

Apr 1, 2000
    I was just wondering.....
    Is drinking and playing a good combination?
    I dont mean 8 beers or something like that, but mayby 2-3 beers. Does it make you suck, or does it make you cool??

uhh...silly question...but anyway, it would be nice to hear your experiences with this.......!!

2. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    Based on my experience, you tend to THINK you sound pretty good after a couple beers/drinks while you're playing. But if you listen to a tape or video of the gig, you'll hear that it wasn't so hot. You tend to not notice mistakes when you're intoxicated, even just a little bit intoxicated.

Conversely, when I'm sober, I tend to think I suck, but when I hear myself on tape afterwards, it's much better than it seemed at the time.

I tend to save my drinking for after the gig, and keep it very light, no more than 2 beers. No sense getting tagged for a DUI/DWI on the way home, and trust me the cops are looking for you at that time on a weekend!

3. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Playing combined with anything that alters your consciousness is bad news, IMO.

I'm not absolutely against it, but if it seems like one becomes two, and two becomes four, and four becomes....screwed up basslines, don't do it.

4. I'd concur with Gard. I remember a time (or do I? hmmm...) of playing stoned and/or buzzed on quite a few beers and thinking "dang this is cool, we be groovin!", but then that taped gig thing happened and I was unpleasantly surprised, to put it mildly.

Nowadays it's water and soda during practice and gigs. Not to sound overly melodramatic but the music means too much to me now to f@$K it up. If I screw up now, I can't blame it on being wasted. Besides everyone knows it was the drummers fault! hahaha

5. to agree with the above posts, Jasnewsted i think the easy way to answer the question is to record yourself and then listen to it sober. i have had the same experience as everyone else. you think your rocking while you buzzed but the tape the next day will tell the truth

6. well it might just be me but when i am drunk when i play i actually become aggresive like i throin cool fills and **** like that!! but when i sober i am more serious with my playing!! i figure either way i am when i play is good but when i am stoned i realized i can't learn any songs because they just go over my head!!

7. kcm

kcm

Jun 17, 2000
    Woking, Surrey.
    I might have a pint before I play but my singer tends to have four or five if he's not driving as he gets so, so nervous. It doesnt seem to affect his performance but if I have more than 2-3 it definately affects me. As said its probably better to go for it afterwards......but if your driving watch out for the police.....as they are bad drivers too!!

8. i've done many a gig back in the 80's with too much alcohol in me. like gard said - if you listen to the tape or watch a video - yeesh! i'm embarassed from my performance. of course it sounded great to me at the time. videos are even harsher to see, because stage presence is severly altered by enebriation.

also, as gard stated - when completely sober, i thought my performance sucked, and after listening to tapes, it was OK.

it is my experience, in order to get over my "i'm really sucking right now" attitude while on stage. a pint (or maybe two) of guinness puts me "in the zone". no more, though. of course, the sunglasses help to get me in the zone too (see avatar), as they help me to focus on my playing, and not the audience(mr. short attention span), not to mention that the bright lights really hurt my eyes.

9. Yeah, the bright lights kill me too. 5 minutes under them and I am in migraine central.

I'll have a pint of guiness or two on wednesday nights when I play, but usually more than an hour before we go on. After that its water.

I told someone in another thread that there is the secondary disadvantage to being drunk when you play, that is, that people tend to notice that sort of thing. The music business isn't that big, and reputations carry far. I'd rather suck and be sober than REALLY suck and be drunk.

Besides, your intonation begins to suck when you aren't thinking straight. I play fretless all the time, except when I am extremely agitated. My intonation goes out the window when I'm upset.

FF

10. One or two beers probably won't hurt you but you need to know when to say enough is enough. I generally might have a couple beers before my first (or sometimes only) set since I tend to get jittery before a gig. After a couple songs I usually get settled. I might have a beer on stage or water depending on my mood. One beer will last me the set since I generally don't have much time between songs. So for me, having a couple drinks is okay, I just draw the line at playing drunk. There's just no excuse for that IMHO. Playing drunk isn't fun or professional to me.

11. Starrchild

Starrchild

Nov 10, 2000
    The Bay.
    I used to burn one before recording or gigging but I kept forgetting my line's.lol

12. Hey, that sounds like a fun experiment. Now, I don't think playing drunk is cool, but wouldn't it be fun to record yourself...

a) sober, and then
    b) get really, really, stinking drunk and then record yourself again (not in a gig situation, just for fun)!

just kidding, I do not agree with enebriation. (sp?).

but seriously, probably one or two wouldn't hurt.

isn't it grand how many Guinness drinkers we have a bass players? Love the stuff!

Mark

13. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Oh lawdy, Fretless! You make me think of these Xenon Super Trooper spots. You get one or two of those things on you and you feel like you're in a room by yourself, they're that bright.

I used to play with a guitarist and singer who used to guzzle Jagrmeister, (or whatever it's called), before a show. Of course, the Troopers were usually on them and they sweated like blocks of ice in a Mexican summer. We finally had that stuff taken out of the contract rider.

14. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    I can't contribute much more than has already been said.

The places we play at take care of our bar tab, and besides that I don't like playing buzzed (I would never play full on drunk, I can barely stand up, let alone play), I just don't think it looks professional. We're hired to entertain, and play music, not to be patrons. I just drink soda or water all night, and I feel much better. On a side point, alcohol makes me warm, it heats my whole body, and it's usually pretty hot on stage anyway, so it's just uncomfortable.

Our singer has the same problem as some others, he believes he sounds better after a couple beers. A recent recording has proved him wrong.

15. jcadmus

jcadmus

Apr 2, 2000
    Well, another problem with drinking while playing is that alcohol dehydrates you. And you're already up there working up a sweat, and you drink more to cool down, and it dehydrates you some more, so you have another one...

Sooner or later you either pass out drunk or from dehydration.

16. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    I think I like Murphy's Irish Stout more, and Beamish is quite good too. Guinness is bit too bitter for me.

17. Well.... Duh!

18. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    That's simple. It makes you suck. That's all.

19. Tuomas

Tuomas

Mar 14, 2000
    Helsinki, Finland
    Energy drinks. Like two gallons of energy drinks. It get's you wasted but still you're more sharp than ever.

20. Harpo

Harpo

Feb 1, 2001
    Kings Park NY
    1 quart of Poland springs and 1 7-11 24oz french
    roast . I save The guniness for after I play
    Our guitar player on the the other hand was a drunk he would be so bombed he could not speak
    we had to replace him it was sad I hope he gets the help he needs . The drummer and I tried to talk
    to him but he would not budge It breaks my heart
    to have done this. Now we have found to guitar
    players and gigs are coming in.