drinking during gigs

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Blunk, Mar 6, 2005.

1. Blunk

Aug 14, 2002

i was just wondering if any other bands out there have a few beers while they play? i try to avoid drinking beer during gigs, i might have one when we get to the venue or i'll have one after we're done with our set.

i'm starting to get a bit fed up of our guitar players drinking during gigs, because they'll hold up a change between songs just have a drink of their beer which totally ruins the momentum we've built up.

i drink water when we play, but only when i get the chance, i won't let it get in the way of a song unless i am starting to feel very ill from lack of water...but i can't ever see that happening - i drink loads of water before we play anyhow.

part of my annoyance is that we've just invested 6,000 in a new PA system, and we're doing that so we can get a better sound and improve overall, but its the little annoying things like drinking between songs that messes it up for me and it seems like a waste to invest money in the PA if we're not going to try to be a bit more professional about what we are

sorry for my rant!
  2. SteveC

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    FWIW - I don't drink when I gig. Occasionally I'll have one, but usually I don't. To me, I am hired to do a job. It's a fun job, but someone is paying me to play, and play well. It's not really different from my day job. The last band I played in had issues with people being drunk and unable to play. To me that is unacceptable.
  3. Rusty Chainsaw

Rusty Chainsaw

Oct 15, 2002
    The Cronx
    Can't do it, my hands don't work as well as they should if I've been drinking! :) Maybe afterwards if I'm not driving, but not otherwise. I've played drunk before and made a complete arse out of it, so never again!

Russ :bassist:
  4. willgroove2

Aug 16, 2003
    chicago IL
    Endorsing Artist;Essential sound products,Dunlop, Ergo Instruments
    i play bass for a living,i don't have a day gig. music is my only source of income(gigging,recording,producing,teaching ect)i say this because i take what i do serious and drinking on the gig is a pet peave with me.if your playing clubs having A beer BEFORE you play is ok IF you can handle it,drinking during the gig? sorry IMO shouldn't happen.if you "can't play without drinking it sounds like you have some other problems that need to be addressed
  5. buddahbass

Dec 22, 2004
    Pittsburgh, PA
    i agree. sometimes i will have a beer before hand jsut to relax a little before playing, but while we are playing it is nothing but water. and afterward once we are all packed up if everyone is hanging out i will have a few. i'm not going to lie, i enjoy a GOOd beer when the time is right. but i never let it get in the way of playing. after all thats what i'm ther to do!
  6. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    I wish I had a better memory because one of the Mikes in the pro section (forget which one) had a lot of really great stuff to say concerning drinking on the job. If anyone remembers what I'm talking about it would be great to resurrect that thread. And I promise the Mikes I'll remember which one this time.

Alcohol is a very powerful and destructive force. The FDA wouldn't approve it in a million years if it came into being today.
  7. Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    hmm I like to drink while I play, but I agree that it is probably not a good idea. My band doesn't exactly gig right now, so it's more or less rehearsals I'm talking about. Beer and rock n roll just seem to go hand in hand.

I tend to drink a lot of beer overall, tho. I probably need to stop drinking soon!!!
  8. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    If I'm jamming with some buddies on a Sunday afternoon in the Summer heat... a beer or 2 sounds like an ok thing.

Drinking while being paid to entertain by an establishment is unprofessional and wrong IMO! Every club I've frequented knew to have a pot of coffee brewed for the bassist :bassist: Sometimes I'll do a minty shot @ last call to freshen up / cut the caffene.
  9. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I don't drink before the gig, I don't drink during the gig, and I don't drink after the gig. Come to think of it, I just don't drink.
  10. +1
  11. Even if the club owner / staff offers free drinks to the band, and the bandmembers are mature enough not to get stupid?

It is possible to have a few, put on a good show, earn the respect of the club owners by not being obnoxious and loud, earn the respect of fellow players who attend your show, provide quality entertainment, have agent and private party opportunity contacts, and have the staff begging you to book again.

12. Erlendur Már

Erlendur Már

May 24, 2000
    I have once gotten drunk during a gig. That was a bad idea. I will never do that again.
  13. Folmeister

Folmeister Knowledge is Good - Emile Faber Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas
    I am currently working with a band that has great potential, but I am really concerned about the amount of drinking that goes on during shows. I drink Diet Coke, but the singers like their beer and the drummer does shots during breaks. I may have to leave a very promising group because of this. Alcohol kills the dynamics of the group and we get too loud.
  14. jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
  15. slugworth

slugworth Banned

Jun 12, 2003
    So. Calif.
    I'll do three of these during our 4-5 hour gig.

16. deichman

Jun 1, 2003
    The only ears that will like what they hear are your own! Of course some of the audience may be smashed and wouldn't know the difference. But the others will. I can't do it.

17. cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    I dont drink while playing gigs. I'd prefer no one drinks, especially while on stage. I find that to be very unprofessional. You're there to work not party.

In my experiences subbing for bands, the only time Ive really seen the members drinking are at the dives. The bands that I've subbed for in the more upscale clubs would only drink coke, water, or something non-alcoholic.
  18. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: see profile

I wouldn't think (nor would most, I hope) of cracking open a 40 sitting at the desk at the office, nor will I at a show I'm being paid for doing.

Most times the band is there to get the crowd drinking! not to do it themselves.

I've fired a few musicians over the years that thought gigs were a "legitimate" excuse to go out drinking with the boys.
  19. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Yes, we've fired at least three singers for drinking at gigs.

I don't drink myself (anymore), I've found that I lose my sense of timing after even one or two beers.

But sometimes when the crowd is really appreciative, you'll look down and find a whole row of tequila shots at the front of the stage.

My drummer and guitar player will wait till "after" the gig (or maybe the beginning of the last set, which is usually a short one), to polish them off. :)
  20. if its a gig i dont care about, if theres not many people there or were just playing a joke venue or something ill take quite a few shots before we play, and a few more afterwards. if i do care, ill usually just have a couple shots afterwards, but while im playing its gotta be something like water, gatorade, or rockstar.