Drinking On Your Birthday - Who Buys?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Michael Jewels, Feb 15, 2006.

1. It's come to my attention that there's a difference of opinions/customs about who buys the drinks on a person's birthday.

Here, in New York, the custom is that the birthday boy/girl puts their wallet away and everyone else buys them drinks.

I have friends from Ireland, England, Germany and South America, and most of them seem to agree that on one's birthday, the birthday boy/girl buys the drinks for everyone else.

So what happens on your birthday?

Do you buy, or do others buy for you?

2. In Greece the birthday boy/girl buys the drinks but the others buy presents, quite fair I think
  3. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    If your friends are worth their salt, you shouldn't have to pay for a single drink on your birfday.
  4. I'm hoping I don't have to pay for drinks on my B-day.

Maybe I can score some free greenery too...
  5. WillPlay4Food

WillPlay4Food Now With More Metal! Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ
    Damn straight. I never heard of the birfday person buying drinks before.

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

I would think your freinds should take you out on your Birthday. Dont worry Mike we got you covered ;)
  7. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

I wish I had a birthday :mad:
  8. this is something i've been thinking about recently... as i'll be 18 soon (mwuahahah!).
    im up for buying the first round... but then i expect to see 18 shots of numerous types of alcohol infront of me within the night.

on that note, im thinking about getting a bouncy castle for my bday. :smug: :hyper:
  9. NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    oh, yeah, your b-day is the 29th of this month.... oh, wait - there is no 29th this month!!!! :spit:

:D :smug:
  10. No you need to go to McDonalds to the childrens party section and get Ronald McDonald to pay a visit

11. Amen.
  12. Is that another name for a lap dance? :bag:

Thor, we'll have to take you out on March 1st.

I shall search the web from now 'till then for the best bikini babe photo I can find. ;)

Mike :)
  13. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

I agree with regard to the U.S.A. - that's the predominant custom here!
  14. Around here, it's the friend's responsibility to get the birthday holder as wrecked as possible. After a while, whoever has the birthday is usually begging the friends to stop getting them drinks.
  15. I can attest to that... I live in NY and in my opinion, that's most logical. I could never see myself shelling out of my wallet on my birthday so my friends could get hammered. It just makes no sense!!
  16. well, on your birthday adn you have a party at home, you provide drinks, if friends arrange a (suprise) party it's their thing.

Friends do presents
    If you go out I think i'd feel most comfortable if the first roundwas on whoever had the birthday, the rest should be on the rest.

you're supposed to provide something like a cake for your direct colleagues too

this is the netherlands we're talking bout by the way
  17. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    same thing here, but with better beer :D
  18. There are no right or wrong answers, but daglar's post is pretty much how some of my European friends living in America seem to approach this idea.

A few times I've been in a pub, and the person whose birthday it was almost demanded to buy the drinks, and would accept one in return only with much arm-twisting, saying, "IT'S MY BIRTHDAY."

And the people I'm referring to are usually not stubborn.