Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Drive By Truckers

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by page, Jan 4, 2005.

1. I saw these guys for the first time on Conan last night, it was a rerun i think, but still good. I thought they rocked, they reminded me of Crazy horse and the Band. I wanna get some albums , but dont know where to start. Suggestions ?????

Any one else like them?

2. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    How about the one they were promoting? ;)

3. Well , ima dumbass, why didnt I think of that! :D

If only I was as wise as you Master Till. :crying:

4. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Ha, it's a tricky one, I don't know much about them, but I think they are a fairly recent band and only have one or two albums.

They had a pretty cool sound, southern rock with a modern twist. The only thing that bothered me were bands with an extra guitarist/member that could be easily disposed of. The one rhythm guitarist who did zero leads and just played what everyone else was playing. I don't know if they do harmonized leads or anything, but... I don't know. 3 guitarist seemed... not right for the band.

5. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS

Alot of the time Patterson (lead singer) doesn't play any git and wears it as a necklace. :D

I believe they have 4 albums. I have heard 3 and they are great. My favorite album(s) is either Decoration Day or Southern Rock Opera. Check out the songs "Hell no I aint Happy" and "Sinkhole".

Page, I could drop you a burn of my burn of one of their cd's if you want.

Adam

6. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
    Their new album "The Dirty South" was rejected by the radio station I work at, so I got it for free. I'd never heard them before, but I was hooked. Great, fantastic band, marriage of arena-quality southern rock riffs with the intimacy and grit of indie rock and good ol' boy style writing.

I would reccommend "The Dirty South" and then "Southern Rock Opera"

I like the drummer's set-up, the 'less is more' approach. I admire drummers that strip down their set rather than build them up. Bands like Deerhoof, Japanther and Against Me!, it makes the drum fills sound less cheesy.

7. Eyescream

Eyescream

Feb 4, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    Southern Rock Opera's a great record. We listen to it at the tattoo shop on a pretty regular basis.

8. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Kind of an odd question, but is all of their stuff similar, or do they sound drastically different between albums... or somewhere in between.

9. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
    In between. They're not a wildly experimental band but they grow from release to release.

10. Sure , thatd be great.

11. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    They are one of my favorite balls to the wall rock bands. I started with Southern Rock Opera & then bought them all :cool:
    Side note/ Patterson Hood is the son of Muscle Shouls <sp> bass great David Hood.

12. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS

PMed you.