1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Driver choices/Boutique maker loading Kappalites

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by tradernick, Mar 27, 2018.

Tags:
  1. tradernick

tradernick

Mar 19, 2008
    Two questions for the builders.

1. Let's say budget isn't an issue and I'm looking to custom build a bass cab. It'll be ported and configuration might be 2 x 10 or I might try 12/6 (with a tweeter?). Yep, I know it's hard to answer questions without more info about design, wood, etc. Maybe someone can try anyway.

Who are the top speaker manufacturers in the world right now? As an old guy I always thought the top of the line Eminence were best but it seems these days the Italians are making inroads? 18Sound? Faital? Who am I missing?

2. Which boutique bass cab maker uses Eminence Kappalites as standard equipment?

2. mmbongo

mmbongo Regular Human Bartender Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Some of the best boutique cabs on the market right now are AudioKinesis, Barefaced, fEarful, and Mesa Boogie....all of which use the Eminence Kappalite (or a custom variation of) in their 12" cabs. Mesa uses a Faital in the Subway 15.

tradernick likes this.
  3. basscooker

basscooker Commercial User

Apr 11, 2010
    cincy ky
    Owner, ChopShopAmps
    I'd swap out fEARful for Greenboy Audio. Fearless line cabs are crushers, and if the OP just goes looking for a ff, he might overlook the fl, which if having it built anyway, probably won't change the price terribly.

There is also MAS, LDS and Genzler to look into.

tradernick likes this.
  4. tradernick

tradernick

Mar 19, 2008
    Thanks, just what I needed

5. mmbongo

mmbongo Regular Human Bartender Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Also see that Mike Arnopol (MAS Soundworks) also uses a variation of the Kappalite 3012LF. I'd say there's something magical about this driver :)

tradernick likes this.
  6. tradernick

tradernick

Mar 19, 2008
    I had no idea that a company had been formed to execute Dave Green's designs - thanks! Very interesting. Gonna cost a bundle once I convert $US to $CDN and add shipping and taxes but hey, you only live once. Gotta see if I can demo one of these in the Toronto area...

7. basscooker

basscooker Commercial User

Apr 11, 2010
    cincy ky
    Owner, ChopShopAmps
    the Greenboy forum, IIRC has a map of either builders, or fF/fL owners. Might be someone nearby willing to let you have a go with theirs.

tradernick likes this.
  8. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 27, 2021