1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Driver Upgrade for a SWR Workingman 10

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by TheCreature, May 4, 2006.

1. TheCreature

TheCreature

May 22, 2002
    Dallas, TX
    Hello Folks,

A SWR WM10 EXTENSION just fell into my posession. The cab's construction seems pretty good but the driver is weak. Does anyone have experience replacing the speaker with one with more balls? Can the cab take a Kappa Pro without coming apart?

I tried backing the cab's dimensions into WinISD, but the cab has a slot port and there's not a facility for that.

Thanks for any advice,

davej

2. snowdan

snowdan

Feb 27, 2006
    before you assume that the driver is the weak link, run your (ie active bass) signal into the effects return to bypass the crappy preamp. waaaay better.

3. TheCreature

TheCreature

May 22, 2002
    Dallas, TX
    Oh - crap - I meant I have the EXTENSION, not the combo amp.

4. Gintaras

Gintaras

Dec 11, 2004
    Kent Island, Md.
    did you finally replace the speaker? I have the combo version and wondering how you did.

5. chadds

chadds

Mar 18, 2000
    I replaced the driver in my LA-8 with a high quality Celestion and it's amazing. I can turn it all the way up and the only weakness is the cab size. Air blows out of all the 1/4" jacks. It's kind of funny. Try LDS for a speaker.

6. joelb79

joelb79

Mar 22, 2006
    Lansing, Michigan
    for a cab that small, maybe a deltalite 2510 would work. plug it into winisd. They seem to like smallerish cabs.