Drivers for sealed cab...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jock, Jun 19, 2004.

1. jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    What drivers on the market are suitable to build my own sealed 6x10 or 2x15 cab ala Bergantinos NV cabs?
    Bergantino costs too much in Europe.
    Please help! :hyper:
  2. mobax

mobax Supporting Member

Dec 31, 2002
    New Baltimore, MI
    EVM's have worked good in sealed cabinets for me.
  3. jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    The cab has not to be sealed. But I´ve decided to make a 2x15 cab and I dont want to buy used drivers. Still want a modern-vintage tone (think Wilco, REM, U2 etc).
    Which drivers? Please help! Im also concidering adding a 5" driver fir more mids and highs... :eyebrow:
  4. K Dubbs

K Dubbs Just graduated from OSU, Go Bucks!

Mar 16, 2002
    Toledo, Ohio

try using the new galaxy audio neodynium 5" if you want some mid/high end without tweetery yippiness.
  5. Rockbobmel

Rockbobmel Supporting Member

When I did my SVT 8-10 over, I used 32 ohm Electro-Harmonix (Eminence rebranded). SVT direct replacement drivers (KILLER!!!). Even if you made a 6-10, it would end upo around 5 ohms. Bergantino has them make special 24 ohm drivers to his spec. Gottem from
  6. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Jock I'd be sifting through speaker specs to calculate the EBP (Efficiency Bandwith Product). The formula is

EBP = Fs / QTS.

Ideally you want speakers with an EPB of 50 or less. You cuold even go up to about 100, but I wouldn't consider anything with an EBP of 100+. Those speakers work better in vented enclosures.

Maybe download Bgavin's spreadsheet and sort it by EBP? That should give you a starting point.