Drivers for Sunn 200S cab

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by EvilJekyll, Jan 12, 2015.

1. EvilJekyll

EvilJekyll

Dec 23, 2011
    NJ
    I recently got a tear in one of my speakers and was wondering what would be a good replacement. I'm looking for something similar to the K/E 140 sound, but with higher wattage rating as I run pedals through it.

I had read that the Eminence CB158 would be a good replacement, but I was unable to clear the baffle to rear load it (that magnet on the back is just a little too big.) Any other suggestions that should clear the baffle?

Thanks in advance for your help!

PawleeP likes this.
  2. B-string

B-string Supporting Member

3. EvilJekyll

EvilJekyll

Dec 23, 2011
    NJ
    It's not so much the depth as it is the width. The CB15 magnet is 8" diameter and that is hitting the angled baffle when I try to get it in there. The depth would be fine once I got the speaker in there, but the diameter of the magnet won't allow it.

4. If your JBL is working but torn, there are ways to patch a tear.

INTP and Bassmec like this.
  5. Bassmec

Bassmec

May 9, 2008
    Ipswich UK
    Proprietor Springvale Studios
    If not there are recone kits available with the same general spec as the E140.
    They are great sounding speakers.:)
    The Fital PR400 is a good speaker for a little more real world power handling.

FanOfAlice likes this.
  6. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    +1 to repair/recone.

7. rigtec

rigtec

Jan 30, 2012
    NJ
    Hi EvilJekyll

A recone is a very good option when trying to preserve a Classic driver (JBL K/E140) or to prevent replacing an otherwise functional, and 'very expensive' driver. The "Faital Pro" that B-string suggests OTOH, is a very good candidate, and option for your application; if you just want a touch of some modern technology in your rig!. There are ways around tight fitting woofers in shallow cabs. I've never seen the inside of the SUNN but you may be able to 'notch' some of the bracing inside the box; just enough to make adequate room for the driver's magnet assm. PS: You seem to have a great cab on your hands; I'd never let a minor interference keep me from achieving the bass rig that I was trying to obtain! :thumbsup: Rgds

8. Oren Hudson

Oren Hudson

Dec 25, 2007
    Gastonia, NC
    Repair or re-cone for sure!

9. EvilJekyll

EvilJekyll

Dec 23, 2011
    NJ
    I'm definitely going to try to do the repair first. I contacted Triple S (a reputable local repair shop) about a potential recone, who said they can't get any certified 8 ohm repair kits, and would not do the repair without it. My only concern is I run a lot of dirt through them; so while I've been more careful about the levels, long term I'm still worried about their longevity, and it would be nice to not have to worry as much about babying them.

10. INTP

INTP

Nov 28, 2003
    Dallas, TX
  11. edwinhurwitz

edwinhurwitz Supporting Member

May 13, 2003
    Boulder, CO
    Endorsing Artist: DR Strings, SMS
    99Z3 likes this.
  12. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 24, 2021