Drivers in Mesa cabs?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jock, Oct 15, 2003.

1. jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    What´s the name of the speakers used in the road ready EV-era cabs? Bothe the 1x15" and the 2x10"?
    I often see used EV(M) drivers for sale but Im not sure if they are the ones used in those cabs.
    I really like the sound of them and would like to build my own cab.
  2. icks

Jul 12, 2001
    Charleroi, Belgium
    EV = Electro Voice.

Mesa Rules
  3. jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    :rolleyes: I know... :D
    I was looking for a model number or something.
  4. Rickenbackerman

Apr 17, 2001
    Laurel MD
    I know my 1984 Roadready 2x15 has EVM 15L's in it. They may have used 15B's as well.

The 10's could be PAS, EV, or even Eden drivers...
  5. NeedMoreBass

NeedMoreBass unregistered

Feb 14, 2003
    The 1x15" used EVM 15L 400 watt speakers. I've got 2 Mesa 1x15" Buster cabs with those same speakers and they sound better than the RoadReady's.
  6. jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Thanks a lot. I´ll keep my eyes open for a EVM-15L in the future.
    Where there more than one EV 10" used in Mesa´s cabs? Which one was it?
  7. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    The EV 15L is the best one, according to Boogie. They later switched to the EV 15M. Not sure about the 10's. Perhaps I will yank one out of my cabs tonight and let you know.
  8. Rickenbackerman

Apr 17, 2001
    Laurel MD
    I personally don't like the 15L at all. It's freaking *WAY* bright.
  9. Boozy

Apr 29, 2002
    Kelowna BC, Canada
    Okay, as far as 15" speaker cabs go, you will see road ready cabs with both EVM-15L and EVM-15B speakers... the "L" speakers have ribs on the cone, and the "B" speakers don't, they are smoothe. The "L" speakers are way brighter and dont have the extended bass range that the "B" speakers have. Most people don't like the "L" speakers for bass... they go and buy a road ready mesa cab with EVM-15L's and then complain and wonder why the cab they bought doesnt sound like what people describe mesa rr cabs to sound like... I pretty much guarantee that you want EVM-15B's...
    As far as the cabs with 10" speakers go, they could be EV, PAS, Eden, or even Celestion.
  10. zeh

Jul 11, 2003
    Lisbon , Portugal
    Do U guys know what speakers do the power house cabs have? :cool:
  11. 810wmb

Jan 29, 2000
    also about the powerhouse cabs...on the mesa website, under the description for the 210, it mentions a 1x15btpowerhouse....what is this cab? i don't see it under the 115 description.
  12. Boozy

Apr 29, 2002
    Kelowna BC, Canada
    umm... well, if you check the mesaboogie site, they say that the powerhouse cabs come with their new custom powerhouse drivers....

this means, that regardless as to who is providing these "new custom powerhouse drivers", whether it be eden or ev or eminence or whoever, they are custom built for mesa, more particularly, these cabinets.. so, to answer your question, the best answer i can give is: the powerhouse series cabs use mesaboogie powerhouse speakers... you could call mesaboogie and ask i guess.

how do the powerhouse cabs compare to the deisel cabs and to the roadready cabs? i've read lots of different answers.

if your buying "mesa" cabs because of what you read or hear or because of look or whatever.. i'd stick with roadready EV equipt cabinets... as far as 15's, stick with EVM-15B

if you are buying mesa cabs cause you are playing through them in the music store and like them, buy the ones that sound best to your ears.

another thing, if you buy a 2x15 roadready rated at 400watts, it would have 2ea EVM-15(L or B).. each rated at 200watts..... if you buy a rr 2x15 rated at 800watts, if they are EV's, they would be proline series which are each rated at 400watts, but are still called EVM-15(B or L)...

i hope that helps, it should be accurate.
  13. Boozy

Apr 29, 2002
    Kelowna BC, Canada
    you gotta admit, those roadready cabs sure do look frickin cool.. i want some!!! i want lots of em ;)
  14. Toneman

Jun 6, 2001
    Long Island
    I had a deisel 410 with the EVs it was killer also it was killer on my back weighing in at 151lbs so I traded it for the powerhouse 115 with the foster horn. The powerhouse sounds real sweet but after one year of use the 15 blew in the first set of a show. I wasn't loud what happened was the glue that holds the voice coil to the speaker heated up and came undone shutting off the speaker. I was real pissed. I called mesa and was told they know about the problem & corrected it. They sent me a new driver free, when I asked who makes the driver they said there made special for us in Kentucky which makes me think Eminence.The mesa web gives no info on the driver other than a 400w rating.