Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by MaskedJackal, Jan 7, 2006.

1. I guess I'm sort of one of the youngins on TB, but nonetheless, after many, many, many trials, tribulations, and delays (none of them being run-ins with the law :) ), yours truly got his license at the age of 18.

Mmhmm. May we now proceed to sarcastic responses? Good.

JimmyM, I'm waiting for yours! I look forward to it :hyper:
  2. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Congrats, i remember the day well, its a nice thing to have.
  3. lamborghini98

lamborghini98 The Aristocrats

May 1, 2005
    NYC; Portland, OR
    I just got my permit not too long ago. Still getting used to driving. I'll be getting my license sooner than later (hopefully), as I'll be 18 in 5 days. Congrats!

Sorry, couldn't think of anything sarcastic to say.
  4. AxtoOx

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    Congrats, and don't feel bad, some states are making it very hard to get one before 18. My daughter didn't.
    Not like when I was a kid and everyone was driving @ 16.
  5. Hey, now you don't have to ask your girlfriend's Dad to drive you on dates. :) That's about as sarcastic as I can get.

It seems like states are making it more and more difficult to get a license these days. Of course driving, even in a small city, is a lot more difficult than it was when I was a kid. I started driving a hay truck in the fields when I was 6 with blocks on the pedals and a hand throttle, graduated to a tractor when I was 10 and was on the road by the time I was 12. I gave up helping my exchange students get an American driver's license a couple years ago when it became extremely difficult, between the new record keeping and terrorism regulations. I guess the government just can't trust those 17 year old female Italian exchange students with a driver's license, they might bomb something instead of coming home on prom night. :rolleyes: Now, that's sarcastic.
  6. FunkSlap89

Apr 26, 2005
    Albany, NY
    I got mine a few weeks ago. I'm only 16 so i have to wait until im 17 to get my full license...

anyway, the day i scheduled my road test turned out to be a snow/ice day so there was no school. A lot of kids who were taking the test that day dropped out and rescheduled and i saw on the ticket that a lot of kids had failed. I guess i'm just that good! :cool:

The miraculous thing is that as soon as i started the road test the directional signal stopped working. I told the tester and they said it was no problem. I also almost failed on the paralell parking too. :ninja:

p.s. i got a paper cut while i was opening the envelope with my license in it. maybe its a warning! :bag:
  7. Silly Schiff! Bassists don't get dates. :smug:

Thanks everyone!
  8. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Deptford, NJ

you're gonna thinking driving is real cool and fun.

until the needle reaches "E"
  9. AxtoOx

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    Well I'm middle aged w/ a clean driving record so when I moved back here to Oklahoma, I just had to pay a fee and take a picture. I don't think one single kid in there testing passed that day.
    I later heard that if this "Good ol Boy" state trooper don't like the way these kids dress, or their haircut, they don't get a license.
  10. I'm not surprised. I gave a similiar factor some thought today, and wore a red t-shirt instead of some black metal band one.
  11. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    My son got his permit last month. He'll be 17 in three months. He just isn't really motivated about getting a license and a car. May I ask why it was that you did not receive your license until now?

I was standing outside the door of the DOL the day I turned 16 waiting for them to open.

12. AxtoOx

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    I don't know, I guess things have changed, I was the same way, I also got a job just as soon as I could so I could have my own money. I was already playing guitar and I had to earn my own and pay for a car which I did.
    I just left Calif. and it was not uncommon to find kids in their early 20's still not driving. And public transportation stinks there.
    Like I said they make it hard for them to get a license in Calif. unless your on the honor roll, till your 18. But these Kids in their early 20's? ( I guess I shouldn't call them kids, I was in the military by then) I don't get it either. :confused:
  13. Here in Greece you can't get a lisence before you're 18 and I mean any kind of lisence, not the regular one. I'm 16 and have been dreaming of a car since I was 12. All of my friends are that way but maybe that's because of our bad public transportation or something.
  14. Indiana Mike

Indiana Mike

Nov 18, 2005
    Thanks for the warning, I will now lower my deductilbes and update my insurance. :D
  15. 21 and I still don't have it. Maybe because the bus goes right to my work and it ends up being mighty cheaper. Though I plan on getting it this year as my jam spot is a short car ride or long bus ride away
  16. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    I got mine this past October, about a month before I turned 18. Most people in Ontario are driving around 16 or early 17.

Congrats, and good luck.
  17. Same here. I'm 18 and haven't even got my learner's permit - just because I really can't be bothered. Buses go to where I need to go in town, and I can walk to work (and school when I went), and anywhere else I need to go, I can get a lift with my ma.

Plus, it's far too expensive to be driving these days. It's $1.20 a litre here in Adelaide. :rollno:
  18. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Props to you. It was good.