Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Driver's test coming up

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Vince S., Jun 15, 2005.

1. Vince S.

Vince S. Resident Former Bassist

Jan 24, 2003
    I have my license test coming up soon this weekend, and I admit I'm a little nervous. I've been driving for a while now so I have the basics down, and I reviewed the laws/signs for the written portion.

The thing I'm worried about is parking. I've been going to empty lots to practice my parking. I'm not sure of the technical name but it is the one where you turn to the left about 45 degrees, then back in, straighten out, and continue to back into the space.

I will be driving a Nissan Pathfinder, the car that I've been practicing with. It is more tricky to park an SUV properly. I've successfully done the parking in practice, but there many times where I thought I had lined up the car perfectly with the spot and I completely miss it.

Any tips or advice?

Thanks

Vince

2. Don't_Fret

Don't_Fret Justin Schornstein

Dec 10, 2003
    East Coast, US
    You'll be fine. I just took it, and the spot they give you to parallel park in is twice the normal size. I was able to do it in a Honda Element with the back seats up against the back windows. Just be sure you've backed in the spot enough when you're on the 45. Oh, and remember, both hands on the wheel. :)

3. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    Turn your mirrors down a bit so you can see where the lines are.

When turning the car to 45 degree angle, just pass the spot so that your rear end is parallel with the front of the spot, then turn while backing until you can see both of the headlights in your left mirror - or in this case, almost the whole line.

4. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK
    Acctually SUV's are easy to part... here is the thing you got to remeber... you have more space then you think..

Reason why SUVs are easy to park is you can see in mirrow or when you turn around when they end... with sedans you also got to remeber the trunk...

Just be cool about it... do it easy and slow...

You havent done any parking if you havent parked SUV with a trailer... NOW thats not that easy:)

good luck...

5. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    When I took my drivers test they didn't have me paralell park. I only had to back up in a straight line and do a 3 point turn. It's a shame though because now I can't paralell park to save my life :)